Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sissy34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Tmj surgery
    I am 34 yrs. Old I had tmj surgery on 4-30-07 I got nerve damage from it I was wondering if there's anyone else that has had this surgery and has got nerve damage I'm in a lot of pain want to know does it get better with time or there is anything you can do to correct it please help.:(
    matiasmommy Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Yes.. I have had that done as well. Same result.. lots of pain but it DID get better.. just takes time. Nerves are slow to heal.

See the oral surgeon who did the surgury.. its still pretty fresh.. but he should be able to give you a better idea of exactly what can help in your personal situation. I was on nerve relaxers and pain killers for a while.. then graduated to a nighttime appliance. It now only bothers me when I am stressed out (I clench and grind! Bad me!) or eating corn on the cob or other open the mouth wide and chew hard things.

Cheers

Jani Teeter
    L3 Director, CSG
    1bombshell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Hi,

I had tmj surgery on 6-29-06. My lower jaw is still numb. I think that my doctor lied to me. I asked him how long it would take for me to completely heal from the surgery. He said to give it a year-year and a half. The right side of my jaw is smooth; the left side is not. He said it will all smooth out the same over time. This was my first time ever having surgery so I did not know what to expect. He sent me for an MRI which showed there's no nerves cut or damaged. He still tells me that the nerves were only stretched and the feeling should come back any day now. In the meantime, the statute of limitations has run out for me to sue his a**. I think that he may have told me that timeframe to make sure he was clear of a lawsuit. If you still have numbness, I'd advise you to get at least two more doctors opinions and check on the statute of limitations in your state. These doctors need to stop performing tmj surgery if these risks are unavoidable. I'm really depressed now thinking that I'll have to live the rest of my life with a numb chin and bottom lip. I'm only 42! This is really cramping my style!! Is there anyone else out there who is experiencing the same thing?
    1bombshell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Hi, Sissy34.

How are you doing since your surgery?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TMJ surgery? [ 4 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years ago and was told that I would need to get surgery to correct it. The pain comes a few times a year but its nothing serious but you can tell that my jaw is moving and my top teeth don't touch my bottom teeth(partly because I was a finger sucker when I was...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

TMJ pain, right side only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Just wondering if anyone can provide feedback? I have had TMJ pain, right side only, for about 1 week. It came after I ate a huge pack of Skittles that were a bit stale:o How long till I should seek a medical help? Will it subside soon? What is the normal "heal" time. I know these...

View more questions Search