Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpd278 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Riding mower double pulley removal
    I have a riding mower and I need to remove the double pulley that is on the engine shaft. I have already removed the bolt but the pulleys will not come off. Is there a special tool or technique I need to use?
    BriggsAndStratton Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2007, 12:02 AM
    A good hard smack should get it loose
    do_it_yourselfer Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Sep 21, 2007, 07:38 AM
    I would first allow a penetrating oil to work on the frozen pulley. Kroil is the best I have ever used.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Be cautious with the hammer. And I am not familiar with kroil, I prefer "PB BLASTER", I have excellent results with pb blaster. And do not try and use a gear puller, it will damage the pulley because the metal is too thin and will bend. Keep lubricating, tapping,. and persistence will usually pay off, I said usually. I know you don't want to hear this, but I have had to carefully cut off the pulleys.
    garfish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpd278
    I have a riding mower and I need to remove the double pulley that is on the engine shaft. I have already removed the bolt but the pulleys will not come off. Is there a special tool or technique I need to use?
    I am having the same problem and wondered if you were you able to get the pulleys off?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Read MOWERMANS post above. These bend very easily. Be careful as the post advises.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Well, is there any progress to report?
    p144 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 05:17 AM
    I'm also having this same problem (the front pulley on the engine crankshaft on a troy bilt). I've been soaking it with PB blaster and tapping it. I finally started using a wheel puller (yes, it has bent the pulley), but it still won't budge. At this point I just want the thing off and I'll buy a new pulley. I don't want anymore carnage than necessary. Any ideas about getting it off?
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by p144
    I'm also having this same problem (the front pulley on the engine crankshaft on a troy bilt). I've been soaking it with PB blaster and tapping it. I finally started using a wheel puller (yes, it has bent the pulley), but it still won't budge. At this point I just want the thing off and I'll buy a new pulley. I don't want anymore carnage than necessary. Any ideas about getting it off??
    Yes, you can use a die grinder and CAREFULLY cut into the pulley at two places opposite one another and get the pulley off. BE CAREFUL and not damage the pto shaft. Another method is to use a little "heat" from a torch. IF YOU USE HEAT, YOU WILL LIKELY DAMAGE THE MAIN OIL SEAL. Then you will have to remove the engine from the frame of the unit, remove the sump pan, remove the old seal, replace the old seal, replace the sump gasket, and remount the engine, and finally, put on the new pulley.
    p144 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Well Mowerman, I finally had to cut the pulley. I removed the engine from the frame and flipped it over the other night to let some PB Blaster penetrate down between the pulley and shaft, but it didn't work. I only did one cut down the side of the pulley where the notch is so I wouldn't scar the shaft if I went too deep. I then tapped a flat blade screw driver down the cut to spread it slightly and then used the wheel puller (it was still pretty tight) to remove it. Everyone needs a Dremel tool in their shop. It was perfect for a delicate cut job. Thank you for your advice.

Phillip
    joycephillips Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Have a briggs @stratton engine from a snapper mower can not get the plate off the double pulley help jp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Riding lawn mower to riding go-cart [ 6 Answers ]

I want to convert a riding mower, with a bad engine, to some type of riding go-cart. I'll probably put some type of small engine it it for power, but want something the kids can creep around the yard with. Any ideas? Thanks, G

Riding Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hell0, My Husband Is Having A Problem With His Briggs And Stratton 16.5 Hp Riding Lawn Mower. It Is Blowing Oil Into The Carb. Can Anyone Help Me? Tks

Pulley removal B&S small engine [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove the drive pulley from the drive shaft on a Briggs and Statton engine?

Pully removal from a sears craftsman riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

Im trying to remove the pully from the transmission on a craftsman riding mower. Does anyone know if the pully or shaft has to be heated to remove? I've soaked it with wd40 and it still won't budge!

I need help with my riding mower. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bolens model 660 riding mower. It's 4 years old. Last week I tried starting it but had problems. It sounded like the battery was dead, so I went buy a brand new one. Hooked it up and now it does absolutely nothing and it is stuck in gear. I cannot get it in neutral for some reason. So this...

View more questions Search