Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jason_silvestry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I replaced T&P valve but I now have no hot water
    We are selling our home to which an inspector came by the other day, in the process of checking the t&P valve it has since been stuck in the open position I realize after reading the label that it should have been replaced every 3 years, the unit is 8.5 years old.

So after about 36 hours of a slight leak, I left for work today and my wife calls me and told me we have no hot water, so I come home unplug power from unit, drain unit, take out old valve, off to ferguson supply, and then replace unit only to find out I still have no hot water.

Could the constant draining of valve have caused something else to have failed, Last night we had hot water so what ever was the cause happened overnight.

I have opened up cover of unit, and pressed the red button, however after some internet searching I think I need to go and unplug unit again to try resetting the red button.

Please help I have to have this repaired by Monday,

PS first time poster.

Jason:confused: :confused:
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Understand that I am not a plumber but have had similar issues with my hot water heater. A TMP valve that is opened/shut many times rather than just once a year or so, might need replacing but you have done that - just don't continue to check it by opening and closing it very often. The hot draining slowly could have caused the hot water to flow out leaving you little or no hot water but if the water heater has a good element(s) (I will assume it's an electric unit) and the hot water is not draining out too fast, the heater should give you at least some hot water depending on whether you have just finished using the last of the hot water say for example by taking a hot /warm shower. It takes some few minutes for most hot water heaters to replenish cold water with hot. Quite often the main reasons for no hot water are 1) the heating element(s) have gone bad and need replacing or 2) the thermostat has gone bad and needs replacing. I believe, though I am not sure, that there are ways to check if the thermostat is bad but if's beyond my expertise to advise you exactly how. But good old common sense and my experinece changing the element(s) and the thermostat tells me that is perhaps what you should do next. Elements costs about $20. And your unit (keep in mind I am assuming it's elec not gas) probably has two elements, one upper and one lower. A themostat costs probably less or about the same - very easy to change but as always, when working with electricity, take every precaution to prevent shock, don't stand is standing water, DO cut the power soure off, use an electrical tester to make sure no current is flowing when you even touch the unit on the outside or anywhere for that matter. If you have not changed the elements in the last few years, you may want to do that also if though the problem might be the thermostat. The thermostat change out is probably the easiest quick fix, so I might suggest that you attempt that first or search for the correct method, if there is one, to test the existing thermostat. Good luck and if you have time, I am sure an experienced plumber will perhaps give you some good advise. The average life of a water heater is normally about 12 years but I may be off on that estimate, so if yours is older, you might want to consider replacing it and not hassle with reparing it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Wait a moment, how did the T&P get stuck in the open position? Did the inspecter open it, they don't stick open but can leak after someone messes with them. If it was not leaking and the inpsector caused the leak he must repair it. Now for your current situation, not hot water, lets atrt with a bunch of questions. When you open a hot water tap do you get cold water or no water? Get back to us and I 'l try to not send you down too many unnecessary roads. In the meantime, if my guess was correct, call the inspector and tell him his inspection damages your home and it most be fixed immediately.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
    If it is possible that you turned on the power before you had the heater full of water it could be that you burned out your heating element.
    Do you have two elements? If so the upper element may not have been immersed in water when you turned the power on and if the upper element is bad you will not get any hot water because when first heating the upper element heats first and then switches to the bottom thermostat and after that only the lower element heats until the upper thermostat gets cold and calls for heat. At that time the upper element will heat if it is good.
    To do any checking you need an amp meter and a volt meter.

Let me know if you have a 240 volt heater or a 120 volt heater. I ask you to do this because in your post you said you unplugged the power from the unit. Well most heaters that unplug are 120 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Low hot water pressure in replaced faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the faucet in a first floor bathroom, cold water is fine but hot water flow was almost non existent. I checked and cleaned the screen in the tap which did increase the flow to a trickle but still nothing like an acceptable flow. I checked the hot water supply pipe and that is fine (I...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Hot water shutoff valve? [ 14 Answers ]

Any reason to install, or not to install, a shut off valve in the hot water line at the water heater? Any safety concerns by shutting the hot water at the heater? I’ve seen several installations with shut offs in the hot supply, but the majority are without. Never could get a firm answer on the...

View more questions Search