Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysonsdoormat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 07:34 AM
    20 yr old son moves back home
    :mad: my son who is twenty couldn't wait to move out and now he's back just as irresponsible as he ever was and disrespectful as well if I try to speak to him on these subject he goes into a screaming rage and don't hear anything I am saying how can I try to get him to understand about priorities and respect and responsibilities I seemed to have failed him early on I raised him on my own .:(
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 16, 2007, 07:41 AM
    A good first step would be to demand your son may a minimal "room & board" for staying with you. As an adult, it is completely reasonable that he contribute to the household expenses.

I also suggest you not provide any "free services" for him - be that food preparation, laundry service, taxi service, or wahtever else he might want you to do or pay for. As an adult, he should take care of himself.

And finally, give him a deadline to move back out on his own... and be prepared to kick him out if you have to.

I know you want to help your son, but he is also old enough to take care of himself. You may have to be tough on him to get him to "grow up". It may be the only way he'll learn.
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 2, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Screw rent screw everything kick him out tell him he can't stay there. He wanted his own life and now he can live it. You won't be there to hold his hand forever
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I agree with victoria. Kick his out for a while. Some states require eviction preceedings though. Even if he stayed for a week, sometimes you need to give him 30 days notice by law. In that time see if his attitude chages and starts contributing toward rent, chores, food, etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Yep, change the locks while he is out, and be done with him, till he learns,

He will not learn to do right till he hits bottom, no child should be living at home disrespecting the parent.
    swany65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 09:19 AM

Give him two choices... the right hand or the left... to smack him upside down.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 09:32 AM

Boy, did you ever get your answer. You cannot allow yourself to be his door mat. Either he adheres to the rules of the house or he gets out. There is no half way. Since he appears to also be abusive, I would tell him in no uncertain terms to get out until he can learn respect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult son,evict from my home [ 15 Answers ]

How can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house

Transferring Ownership of Home to Son [ 1 Answers ]

My mom (state of Wisconsin) wants to transfer the family home to my brother. He has lived with her for about 5 years now and wants him to have the home. She wants to do this now, before anything unexpectedly happens to her. What does she need to do?

How Can I Get My Son Back [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, More than a year ago my ex and I split up and when this happened she took our son that we had together with her. Not too long after I met my now fiancé and my ex decided that she could not handle having our son so she dropped him off at my house and told me that I was to take him for a...

I need my son back after 18 months.. [ 3 Answers ]

My son was taken from me after having an illness that kept him in ICU for 2 weeks. It is HUS and it is an occasional effect of EColi. After having a 50/50 chance of living, he was discharged and began having behavioral changes and having seizure-like spells. Took him to 5 other doctors until I...

View more questions Search