Ask
    bobbobbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Air conditioning
    My Central Air Won't Turn On
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Bob, Can you give us a little more info? Model of unit, is it doing anything at all?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
    The thermostat must have power from the transformer in the furnace at the R or RC terminal. It should switch power to the G terminal starting the blower, and to the Y terminal turning on the outside unit. When the thermostat calls for heat, the 2 small wires going into the outside unit should have 24 volts AC and the 2 large ones should have 240 volts AC. If so, and it isn't running at all, the relay is bad. An easy fix if you shut the power off first. If not, you need to follow the dead set of wires back to where the problem is.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

MY AC won't turn on...

Air conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

How do I calculate how many tons of A/C I need to cool a house. I don't want the contractor to rip me off

Air conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

Age of equipment, best you can tell... 10yrs Brand (Manufacturer)... nordyne.. intertherm Efficiency... see here Air conditioner... Package unit split system, (furnace inside A/C outside)... What does it do? Not do? It blows a little bit, but the air is like a vent not cool. W e...

Air Conditioning [ 7 Answers ]

You should have 5 wires running to the outside unit. 2 big heavy, insulated ones plus a ground from the breaker outside by the unit, and a couple of little insulated ones coming out from the furnace. With the thermostat calling for cooling, the big ones should have 240 V between them and the...

View more questions Search