Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toodles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Roommate moved without much notice
    My roommate that signed a one year lease with me told me on the first of April that she will be moved out on the 3rd of April - no 30 days notice to my landlord or anything. The lease has another 4 month on it, and she did not pay the rent in April. She now also wants to pro-rate the utility bills, without the regards that there has not been a replacement found for her (I've been putting out adds and showed the room/house etc.). Per landlord both of us are responsible for the utilities and rent, unless one has found a replacement when leaving. I can't pay the entire rent nor the full utility bills.
    What to do??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 06:21 AM
    You will have to pay the bills till you find a new renter.

You will tell the roommate, that there is no such thing as a 30 day notice in a lease, and that there is no just leaving, and that they will be paying the rent, and the utilities until you find a replacement.

And when they don't you will have to sue them in small claims court.
    But understand this takes time, so you need to talk with your landlord and find a way to pay the rent, or you may end up being evicited yourself.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

May 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles
    My roommate that signed a one year lease with me told me on the first of April that she will be moved out on the 3rd of April - no 30 days notice to my landlord or anything. The lease has another 4 month on it, and she did not pay the rent in April. She now also wants to pro-rate the utility bills, without the regards that there has not been a replacement found for her (I've been putting out adds and showed the room/house etc.). Per landlord both of us are responsible for the utilities and rent, unless one has found a replacement when leaving. I can't pay the entire rent nor the full utility bills.
    What to do????
    Keep accurate records of the money you spend to advertise, utility bills, any expenses your landlord might incur in order to accept a new tenant (running credit checks etc.) The expenses would then be part of the small claims case. Also include the cost of the court case. Once the old roommate moves out, ask your landlord to do a walk through to see if any damages would be coming out of the security deposit. Make sure that the old roommate has paid her share of damages. Hopefully you already know whose money was used for the security deposit and made a decision on how and when it will be returned. Make sure the landlord knows not to return money to the old tenant that is not rightfully hers.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
    The roommate has to pay their part of the rent for the last 4 months, you can take them to court to get it. The utilities, I'm not so sure, they won't be there so I don't think they have to pay.

They aren't going to be using the electricity, water, phone etc. so why do they have to pay. Without them there all these bills should be cut in half (roughly) anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need roommate to pay up or get out in VA [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate and I signed a lease in December 2006 for a year. We agreed on our rent and who would have which room and everything. I would pay the little bit of extra rent so I could have the master bedroom with the bathroom in it. Everything was fine for the first couple weeks, then she started...

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

Another roommate problem [ 1 Answers ]

:confused::mad: Hello, OK, I have an issue with what is going on with roommates and want to kick my roommates girlfriend out. However, she is not on the lease, she does not pay bills, she just lives there and receives mail there. Something happened this weekend. A couple of friends came...

Roommate Harrassment/Nightmare roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living with my roommate for over 4 months now in a 2 bedroom apartment in western PA. We both signed a 1 year lease with the landlord. Little did I realize I signed a lease with a nightmare of a roommate. She throws parties 3+ nights a week, her friends smoke in the building (no smoking...

View more questions Search