Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kensingtonm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 01:46 AM
    Membrane Technology in Wastewater Treatment
    How do Membrane Bioreactors(MBR's) operate and what is the fundamental difference between an MBR and a conventional Activated Sludge Reactor(Aeration Tank)?
    How is secondary clarification obviated in a process with an MBR?
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 09:15 AM
    MBR technology combines the activated sludge "bioreaction" portion of the water treatment process with the solid removal "clarification" portion. In your typical bioreactor WWTP, you'll have a sludge activation process where the "good bacteria" are encouraged to grow and eat the "bad bacteria" as well as nitrogen, etc (called denitrification process). The resultant effluent of this process is then piped to a "clarifier" which is essentially a rotating mechanism in a big tank where the solids in the waste water are separated from the water itself. In MBR technology, the solids are filtered within the bioreaction phase. General Electric provides such technology - if you run a simple Google search you can find some information on it. Typically, MBR plants have a smaller footprint than conventional plants, though their initial cost is higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Shower Membrane/Cast Iron Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing my shower membrane pan with a new one. I have purchased a cast iron drain to replace the old cast iron one, however where ever I read about doing a shower pan they say to replace with PVC drain. Is this something that must be done? Or can I replace it with the same type of...

Vsate technology [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I want to know the VSAT Internet Technology can we both have uplink and down link chanels. Please tell me the web site address which holds all the information about VSAT Technology. Thanking You

Broadband technology [ 1 Answers ]

What is broadband?

View more questions Search