Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grnthmb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Keeping sister safe from inheritance
    My siblings and I own property as a result of our fathers death. We would like to sell it, and split the proceeds. However, one sibling is a severe drug addict, has been incarcerated several times over the years, and can't take care of herself in general. Is there anything we can do to make sure that she doesn't harm herself with the proceeds of this sale? It's not that we don't want her to have it - we're just afraid that she'll harm herself or others with it. If would be ideal if we could give it to her in monthly installments. She's in her 40's.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Unless you can prove she is incompetent, in a court of law, the money is hers. You and your other family members could seek a limited guardianship over your sister for the financial management. Using the history of drug abuse and incarcerations, saying that she is not able to manage money and the fears of her literally blowing the funds in a very short period, or being swindled out of her inheritance by any drug cohorts.

So you need to seek some legal counsel. Or get her to agree to a conservatorship with one (or two) family member(s) overseeing and writing the checks. If she agrees, do it legal. Spend the money now and avoid legal hassles later. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keeping turkeys out [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have a large garden every year that produces veggies like crazy. (A friend calls our back yard "the Napa Valley of Maine" because the garden does so well.) The one problem is with or corn crop: Wild turkeys come through and knock all the corn stalks over just before the corn is...

Keeping Christmas [ 10 Answers ]

I've heard quite a lot of opinions on the Christmas Holiday lately. Some want to keep observing it as a Christian Holiday while others want any mention of Jesus Christ out of it. Some just want to celebrate Chris Kringle and have all of the presents while others use it as just a day off from work....

Keeping the attraction up [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend now for about 6 months ( we were seeing each other for 4 months prior to that). Anyway I got her to be attracted to me by keeping my interest low, acting like she didn't have me. And because of this, she was the first one to initiate most things (...

Keeping my erection [ 7 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 6 months now and about a month ago we decided we were ready in the relationship for sex. Well, when we engage in foreplay we both get very aroused, but when we get to the point of it turning into sex, I become nervous and while she stays ready, for lack of a...

Keeping Quiet [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not a depressed person. I have some issues with my personal life and all I have are friends and family to talk to. For every argument I have with my boyfriend, I make a point to tell a friend, or maybe even two. Sometimes I feel that I tell people too much and they could judge me or my...

View more questions Search