Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chalet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Room mate playing activist
    My roommate is playing activist and bringing a petition of tenants together to make a change in the building. He posted letters in elevators and throughout mentioning issues that he is sick and tired of having a "slum" landlord and that he wants changes. He announced that he has contacted a law office interested in his case and that broken elevators, broken phones in elevators (repetative) and faulty laundry facilities over and over is dangerous and unacceptable. Can he do this? He is not on the lease and has been living in my apartment for 1 year. The landlord knows this but has no problems-but I feel will have problems now. Live in Wisconsin-any advice?

Jim
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet
    My roomate is playing activist and bringing a petition of tenants together to make a change in the building. He posted letters in elevators and throughout mentioning issues that he is sick and tired of having a "slum" landlord and that he wants changes. He announced that he has contacted a law office interested in his case and that broken elevators, broken phones in elevators (repetative) and faulty laundry facilties over and over is dangerous and unacceptable. Can he do this? He is not on the lease and has been living in my apartment for 1 year. The landlord knows this but has no problems-but I feel will have problems now. Live in Wisconsin-any advice?

Jim
    I agree there will be problems. You need to do whatever is necessary to remove him from the apt - 30 day notice or maybe offer him his deposit when he gets his stuff cleared out. He has no "standing" since he is not a tenant and it is doubtful any law firm would handle any litigation on his behalf since he is not "authorized" as a tenant/resident.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Well of course anyone can lobby for the safety of a building, but they can not as noted do any law suits, they will need the tennants to do action, and since he is your guest, guess who the landlord will hold responsible for causing problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Room-mate issues (has anyone lost their village idiot) [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a room-mate. We all moved into our home at the same time. The roommate is not on the lease. My boyfriend took him in because the guy has had a rather large streak of bad luck; however the condition was that he must get himself established so that he can move out on his own....

My room mate left before the lease was up [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in Mo. My roommate and I both signed the lease on our apartment last May. She left in November and promised to pay her half of the rent to the end of the lease. She hasn't. The landlord wants her half of the rent now. Paid in full. If I pay it, can I sue the roommate for what I had to pay...

Room mate not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord W rents to tenants A and T. Today W got a call from A saying that she wants help getting someone out of their (rented) house. Co-tenant T told friend R he could live there for a while. A thought it would be just a few days. Now R has been there for weeks, messing up the house, paying...

View more questions Search