Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2016, 08:51 PM
    My brakes still don't work like they should
    I've got a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring Edition with 3.8L V6. I changed the back brakes today, pads, rotors. I had to open the bleeder screws to turn in the caliper pistons with the tool I rented from the parts store. I bled the brakes at all 4 wheels when done, and refilled the brake master cylinder as needed. However, when I start the van I have to pump the brakes in order to stop, rather then just lightly tapping the pedal to get braking. Have I missed a step, or could there be something else wrong with my brake system to cause this weak brake pedal? Also, how do I know whether I need to change the rubber brake hose at the wheel connected to the caliper?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2016, 09:08 PM
    Try bleeding the brakes again. With an ABS system in your van, you may need a scan tool. Google " bleeding brakes on a _______".Discusses ABS bleeding.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2016, 07:28 AM
    Sounds like you have air in the system. Using a one-man brake bleeder tool, such as a Cal-Van 247, you should easily be able to regain a firm pedal.

I doubt that you need to replace the brake hose, unless you damaged it, because your vehicle is not that old.

Jul 14, 2016, 05:55 PM
    I wound up replacing the brake hose on the drivers side rear because it was leaking fluid which I didn't see at first glance. I then bled the brakes again. I get a real firm pedal if the engine is off, but once I start the vehicle it goes back to mush, but the brakes are stopping the vehicle but not as reactively as I'd like. Is there a way to tell for sure if the power brake booster is failing?

Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Sounds like you have air in the system. Using a one-man brake bleeder tool, such as a Cal-Van 247, you should easily be able to regain a firm pedal.

I doubt that you need to replace the brake hose, unless you damaged it, because your vehicle is not that old.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2016, 08:51 AM
    Always support the caliper after removal, to prevent damaging the brake hose. I use a piece of copper tubing, shaped like a letter "S." You can also use a bungee cord.

Did you tighten the new brake hose with flare or line wrenches? They prevent nut distortion and help ensure a leak-free connection. Did you bleed the brakes in this sequence: RR, LF, LR, and RF? If you weren't experiencing booster problems before, I doubt that that's the problem.

Jul 15, 2016, 12:36 PM
    I purchased front pads today, also a vacuum pump bleeder kit, so I hope to get this resolved soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Always support the caliper after removal, to prevent damaging the brake hose. I use a piece of copper tubing, shaped like a letter "S." You can also use a bungee cord.

Did you tighten the new brake hose with flare or line wrenches? They prevent nut distortion and help ensure a leak-free connection. Did you bleed the brakes in this sequence: RR, LF, LR, and RF? If you weren't experiencing booster problems before, I doubt that that's the problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2016, 07:13 AM
    Make sure you remove and clean the caliper pins and caliper bracket slides; then, lubricate the caliper pins, caliper bracket slides, and brake pad backing plate friction (slide) points with silicone grease. It's best to use premium ceramic pads; e.g., Wagner ThermoQuiet, which come with a lifetime warranty. Ensure that you remove the cap to the master cylinder reservoir, before pressing the piston into the caliper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda CRV rear brake lights don't work when appling brakes [ 1 Answers ]

When appling brakes, R/B/L (rear brake lights) don't light up. R/B/L do work when headlights are turned on (only 1st stage), but don't light up 2nd stage when brakes are applied. Have checked to see if I have power going to brake peddle switch & all's good. What do I do next. Have checked bulbs...

How to adjust the brakes on a simplicity3108 riding mower. My brakes don't work [ 0 Answers ]

Simplicity a3108 riding mower. The clutch/brake is not working

What would cause a car's brakes to work intermittently? [ 2 Answers ]

At times our son's car ('98 Toyota Avalon) does not work and then it will start working again.

97 dodge brakes won't work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi replaced brakes on truck both front calibers ,pads,lines -now can't get fluied to calibers -blead 4- 2 hours still nothing - no fluied to brakes at all ont even in lines to brakes help please

Murray rear engine mower, brakes don't work? [ 1 Answers ]

The clutch works as it should when you depress the brake/clutch pedal, but the brakes don't work. This is my first riding mower and need to know how to repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

View more questions Search