Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaputt21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Covering pipes with concrete
    Changing 1/2 bath to 3/4...

Broke the concrete... had a plumber install the piping... covered pipes up again.

Do I just simply buy concrete, mix it, and spread it evenly?? Is it that simple? Are there tricks to it?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaputt21
    Changing 1/2 bath to 3/4....

broke the concrete...had a plumber install the piping....covered pipes up again.

Do I just simply buy concrete, mix it, and spread it evenly??? Is it that simple? Are there tricks to it?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
    Hi Ken,

If It's a small trench just cover the pipes with dirt, tamp it down and run a patch over the open hole.
    If it's a large area you might want to cover the pipes with dirt, tamp it down and lay down some plastic and wire mesh before you pour concrete. Good luck, Tom

Apr 14, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Ken,

If It's a small trench just cover the pipes with dirt, tamp it down and run a patch over the open hole.
    If it's a large area you might want to cover the pipes with dirt, tamp it down and lay down some plastic and wire mesh before you pour concrete. Good luck, Tom

How exactly do you "tamp it down"? I've used my hand to level it. How compacted does it need to be?

It is a small trench, a little less than 1 ft. wide.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaputt21
    How exactly do you "tamp it down"? I've used my hand to level it. How compacted does it need to be?

It is a small trench, a little less than 1 ft. wide.
    I'd just take a piece of 2 X 4 and tamp around and over the pipe so the cement doesn't sag as it's setting up. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Kaputt, it may be even easier and cleaner to use sand. Sand self settles pretty much with little tamping. Speedball's 2x4 is my best tool.

Apr 15, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Thanks for the help guys... 1 more:

When patching the concrete, the concrete should be set up just below the toilet flange, correct? (As in the flange should be "resting on it".. )
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2007, 04:25 PM
    I am assuming your plumber already set the flange when hew did the roughin. Your concrete should be level with the rest of the floor. The flange can be above the concrete surface, sitting on it. The toilet and the flange are a bit forgiving once you set the wax ring. If you feel the flange was set too low you can buy an oversize wax ring that is thicker for this situation.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 16, 2007, 07:34 AM
    If you feel the flange was set too low you can buy an oversize wax ring that is thicker for this situation.

Or you can purchase a set of flange extenders, (see image). Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safely covering an outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outlet in my floor that I don't often use. I don't want to completely remove it but it is ugly and I would like to cover it with a rug. I worry though, about that being a fire hazard. Is there something I can safely cover the outlet with before I put down the rug? Thanks!

Covering over a parged foundation [ 4 Answers ]

Our house foundation is block and covered by parge. We have painted it every summer since we have built our home. (7 years this summer) It is beginning to look dull and dirty even with new paint. Is there anything that can be put over the parge such as panels of fake brick or stone? I would...

Covering concrete bricks [ 1 Answers ]

We have a patio area on the side of our house that consists of concrete "bricks" about 6x8. They are uneven, grass comes up in between, and I am looking for suggestions as to what we can do to clean it up. Could we have cement poured over top of it all to make one nice pad? We are not do it...

Covering redness [ 1 Answers ]

My skin can get pretty sensitive to heat, temperature change, stress, as well as the usual embarrassment factor. It's an extreme case of flushing in those kinds of situations. Anyway, is there something that I can buy (that is inexpensive) and use to cover up the blotchy redness? I get it on my...

View more questions Search