Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riverton0987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2016, 05:23 PM
    PEth detection 4 weeks after months of excessive drinking
    I'll start by admitting I'm an alcoholic, and know I shouldn't drink, so save the getting around test comments, please. I did not try beating a test, I screwed up.

I've enrolled in a drug and alcohol monitoring program to support my application for a license to practice by showing although drinking has been a problem in the past, I am starting back in the program and sober now.

Four weeks in to the program I was selected for the random PEth test as opposed to EtG.

Prior to the four weeks in the program, I was drinking heavily for months - longer than the life of red blood cells. It was a bad relapse, both lengthy and 2-15 drinks a day. I am hoping I do not relapse again, past is the past and I'm moving forward with hope and support.

My question is not how the board may handle a positive or why PEth so early - baseline maybe? My compound question is a) what is the test's detection period for the drinking described (standard and known outliers), b) are there any medical or diet conditions that could increase the detection window, and c) can you please provide links to documentation supporting your answer.

I really appreciate your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 06:36 PM
    Where this is (country ? ) we are an international site.
    What type of board and license ? Did you previously lose it or get suspended for drinking?

If they are aware of your history, they may wish to be careful and look suspect on tests if you only stop for a few weeks in attempts to pass them. (not that you are doing that now, but the way a board my think)

You address it with honesty, you admit your problem, and show the steps you are doing to correct it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 25, 2016, 01:56 AM
    Your best bet is to find blogs specifically for discussion of the details of testing and the variances of each individual.
    My feeling is that you are past any window, but do not have documentation.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Apr 27, 2016, 07:08 PM
    One problem you will encounter is that the studies that are conducted are not performed on folks who drink alcoholically. No one in their right mind would knowingly monitor a person who is regularly drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Only a true alcoholic can understand how it is possible to drink 10 or more drinks a night and just keep on doing it. I know because I've been there and done that.

Most of the earlier studies seemed to suggest that 3 weeks was the "average" length of time, others even said that 3 weeks was the maximum amount of time a PEth test could go back. I don't believe any have tested the chronic alcohol abuser.

The best I have done is Googled the question in many forms and still don't have any data I consider "good" or "reliable" to answer your question. Some studies will define heavy drinking as more than 2 or 3 drinks a day. Well I know darn well that that is nowhere the amount I used to consume daily - more like 20 a day! So those "studies" are fairly worthless, in my opinion. It is like comparing grapes to watermelons. 3 weeks vs. 1 1/2 months? It is a HUGE variation!

Here is an excerpt from one source that I will include below:
    Half life is around 4 to 5 days

Can be detectable for up to a month or more following the cessation of heavy drinking

Suggested interpretation based on current knowledge:

Detectable
    PEth
    by LC-MS or HPLC-ELSD indicates drinking roughly within the past 4 to 6 weeks

Higher levels indicate heavy drinking within the past 2 to 3 weeks...optimal cutoff concentrations not established

Low levels indicate lighter recent drinking probably approaching one drink/day, or heavy drinking that ceased in the past 1 to 1.5 months
    https://www.acli.com/Events/Document...%20Stewart.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peth test detection [ 6 Answers ]

What is the likelihood of consuming 224 grams of alcohol over an 18 day period showing positive on a peth test Thank you

PeTh and low level drinking [ 13 Answers ]

I may have a PeTh and EtG test as early as 1/6. On 12/27 I had 3 glasses champagne. On 12/28, I had 1 tequila drink and 2 glasses of champagne. I'm on vacation and would like to continue having 1-2 drinks for 12/29-1/1. That would total 14 drinks in the 2 weeks before the test, and 16 drinks 3...

Peth Testing -- How long is it testable after drinking? [ 19 Answers ]

I am in recovery from alcoholism but slipped a few weeks ago. Prior to this episode of drinking, I had four months of continuous absolute sobriety. I drank on (5) occasions over about a two-week period and I estimate I consumed a Grand Total of approximately 550 grams of alcohol. (This was...

PEth test length of detection [ 2 Answers ]

If I drank 10 drinks every Friday for several months but don't drink any otherday and have not drank in 9 days will this show up on a PEth test?

View more questions Search