Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HVACprobs911 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2016, 08:35 PM
    HVAC Horizontal Exhaust and Stack Vent
    Finally I found the source of furnace shutdown... water in the horizontal exhaust vent. I cut the pipe open and found a lot of water... drained it and the furnace worked fine until it was filled with water again. However, for the first 4 years, this was never a problem. Everything is still well connected with no sags. Very surprising that it is happening now. There has to be something else that created this problem.

The 2.5 feet of horizontal pipe is connected to a vertical pipe going 6 feet high. So I'm assuming water was only in the horizontal part.

Our ceiling in the closet started leaking. We had a plumber come in who said the leak is related to "stack vent". Now I'm thinking, can HVAC exhaust be connected to these pipes and the problem is really originating around stack vent. I'm trying to avoid changing the slope of the exhaust as it would require taking walls down. Also, I think when I run the furnace I find more moisture/dripping water in the closet (ceiling).

Also, the exhaust pipe leaving the furnace is 2" and the exhaust coming out of the building is a 3" pipe.

My question is can HVAC exhausts be connected to other pipes? I would imagine they directly go outside the house and not mix with other vents/exhausts etc. But I'm doubting this as seems very unlikely that the furnace would run find for years, starts giving problems, and the I find water in our ceiling. Have to be really really unlucky.

Thanks for the feedback.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2016, 11:16 AM
    Your furnace and stack vent are never connected. Is it possible the plumber disturbed some insulation around the exhaust pipe, sounds like you are getting condensation.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 15, 2016, 08:48 PM
    We had a plumber come in who said the leak is related to "stack vent"
    What did he do about that? Sounds like "I really don't know what is going on, pay me."

Don't know how a stack vent, which is really the vent portion above the sewer drain stack could leak.

Suggestion, until you figure this out. Cut out the ell that connects the horizontal section to the vertical. Replace it with a tee. Out of the bottom of the tee put as long a piece of pipe as you can. Glue a pipe cap on the bottom. Attach this pipe to the bottom of the tee with a couple of screws.

This would amount to a drip leg just like you have in a gas line. You can then periodically remove and empty the condensation.

I don't know much about high efficiency furnaces but I thought that they have a PVC exhaust out the side of the house and that they also have a PVC combustion air input from the outside also.

Is yours set up that way?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horizontal exhaust vent cause furnace to turn off [ 1 Answers ]

Inducer motor making weird "poof" "poof" noises. The pressure switch on the motor clicks and turns off the flame. I took the motor out but don't see any water in the outlet header box. All the drains are clean. The vent from the outside looks cleans too... has grill and no ice. When...

Can I move a vent stack ofr and back at 45 degree angles or must it vent straight? [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. I want to install a 36 " medicine cabinet but a vent stack is in the way. Can I 45 the vent stack out of the way and back to straight or must it stay straight?

Old stack vent system vent tub [ 8 Answers ]

I wrote in another thread about my slow draining tub. The consensus is that I need a vent, preferably downstream from the sink ( many mentioned an AAV just beyond the trap) now my issue is that I have a pedestal sink, and the plumbing is not really accessible around the sink to put in any kind...

Horizontal toilet stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toilet drain in a straight line from the toilet to the basement (length about six feet). The stack is close to the toilet, and the sink drains into the stack. I would like to relocated the stack about 15 inches, to move it into a wall. This would require a short horizontal run for the...

View more questions Search