Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naty1998 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2015, 07:49 AM
    My mom embarrassed my boyfriend and now everything is different
    OK so my mom really embarrassed my boyfriend and shouted at him. He only moved to sit next to me and she started having a go and my brothers friend was there and he laughed and my boyfriend turned red. He wanted to leave and I didn't blame him if his parents had shouted and embarrassed me id want to go home too but my mom doesn't see it this way and everything is different she won't say sorry and is acting really off with him and its sad because I really love my boyfriend and my mom I want them to both be happy but I don't understand why she won't just move on me and my boyfriend said sorry to her and she just won't move on from it I don't want to lose my boyfriend over something like this when she's in the wrong she's blowing everything out of proportion dose she want me to split up with him? Please help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 07:56 AM
    How old are the two of you and why did she shout at him?

Dec 20, 2015, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    How old are the two of you and why did she shout at him?
    Im 17 and his 17 on the 27 of dec and just because he came and sat in front of me on the chair I was standing behind. It was a total over reaction I don't know why she did it. At first we all thought she was joking when she told him to move but then she started shouting I could understand if we were messing about or something but we were doing nothing my mom however had a bit too much to drink.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 08:11 AM
    27th of December? It's only the 20th.

Since she had too much to drink, just let it go. Most likely she was trying to stand up for you in that she thought you, as the woman, should sit and he should stand.

Just drop it and don't expect an apology, you won't get one.

Dec 20, 2015, 08:15 AM
    She won't drop it though I've tried talking to her and we just end up in a row all I want is for them to get on again and move on from it but she's still being rude to him. What can I do to make them get on with each other again?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 08:20 AM
    Is this her first time embarrassing you or guests after having a bit too much to drink? Have her and your boyfriend gotten along before this incident? I assume yes from what you have written and I assume they will again if you both let it go.

Dec 20, 2015, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Is this her first time embarrassing you or guests after having a bit too much to drink?
    His the first boyfriend I have ever brought back to my parents so this would be a first but its not the first time she's done it to me just usually in front of other family members but not usually to the guest

Have her and your boyfriend gotten along before this incident? I assume yes from what you have written and I assume they will again if you both let it go.
    And yes they usually get on well that's why I was confused and shocked when she embarrassed him and I hope so thanks
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 20, 2015, 08:43 AM
    Maybe I am reading this all wrong. The mother thought that the boy should show more manners then to sit down while his girlfriend is left standing. Of course this is the norm, very little sign of manners are shown today by the youngsters. I have seen a lot of situations where a guy pulls the door open and walks in leaving his lady friend to have to grab the door in order to enter after him. Of course we have the women's lib. movement to thank for this. So, don't you libs. go off on me, I have held many a door for young and old and never got, so much as a thank you.

Dec 20, 2015, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Maybe I am reading this all wrong. The mother thought that the boy should show more manners then to sit down while his girlfriend is left standing. Of course this is the norm, very little sign of manners are shown today by the youngsters. I have seen a lot of situations where a guy pulls the door open and walks in leaving his lady friend to have to grab the door in order to enter after him.
    Maybe she thought he was being rude I will try and talk to her thank you for your help and making me look at it from a different point of view.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 20, 2015, 09:09 AM
    Thank you. I hope this was the problem, so if it was, then it should be on the way to smooth sailing for now.

Dec 20, 2015, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Thank you. I hope this was the problem, so if it was, then it should be on the way to smooth sailing for now.
    No problem and I hope so too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 09:16 AM
    Because your mom may have over reacted doesn't mean you and your boyfriend should also over react and for now letting this go and seeing what happens next is the way to go. Be aware that since she has done this before, you should expect it again despite the fact you have brought basically outsiders into your home for the first time.

Doubt you will change her behavior, and good or bad, you must change yours, and a fair warning to your boyfriend is in order. Right or wrong she is the parent.

Dec 20, 2015, 10:01 AM
    Because your mom may have over reacted doesn't mean you and your boyfriend should also over react and for now letting this go and seeing what happens next is the way to go. Be aware that since she has done this before, you should expect it again despite the fact you have brought basically outsiders into your home for the first time.

Doubt you will change her behavior, and good or bad, you must change yours, and a fair warning to your boyfriend is in order. Right or wrong she is the parent.
    Ok thank you for you're help, I have took on bored everything you said. I will see what happens and let it go and I have spoke to my boyfriend about it too. Thank you for taking the time to read it all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 10 and I'm to embarrassed to ask my mom for a bra [ 21 Answers ]

When I was 9 I started to bud. My mom took me to the doctor and said it was part of puberty. I'm turning 11 in 3 months and have bra quality boobs. How am I supposed to ask my mom? So many people are like " just ask." We'll I'm sorry but my relationship with my mom isn't like that and I'm actually...

My boyfriend mom told me today that my boyfriend was molested as a child [ 4 Answers ]

She asked me to keep it to myself till he tells me one day, we both started to cry, and she feels angry because she didn't know, and if she could, would want to file a late rape charge. It hurts, and I wish he could tell me, and know that I love him no matter what. He recently about 4 months...

My mom has a new a boyfriend [ 10 Answers ]

My mom and dad split a long time ago. Now she has a new boyfriend. He makes her so happy. Ive been trying to make her happy for a long time. He just walks in and she forgets about me. It sounds selfish but I want to be happy too

View more questions Search