Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mackie70 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2013, 12:18 AM
    I'm 10 and I'm to embarrassed to ask my mom for a bra
    When I was 9 I started to bud. My mom took me to the doctor and said it was part of puberty. I'm turning 11 in 3 months and have bra quality boobs. How am I supposed to ask my mom? So many people are like " just ask." We'll I'm sorry but my relationship with my mom isn't like that and I'm actually scared to. Please help!
    Claire redfield Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 04:02 AM
    I'm sorry you and your mum don't have that kind of relationship, maybe that's something you guys can workout in time.

I have an 11 year old who has just recently started wearing a bra too.. She never asked me either, but I noticed she ha started to develop and so I bought her one and took it from there.

Do you get pocket money? Maybe you could buy yourself one next time you go shopping with her. Or do you have a cousin or aunt you would feel more comfortable asking... Or perhaps one of your friends mums... Someone who could help you break the ice. A teacher at school might be able to help.

Why are you scarred to ask? I mean I can ne'er stand being embarrassed or uncomfortable but if you are actually fearful for other reasons then definitely speak to a teacher about it someone who can really step in and help you.out.

Hope you find your way Hun
    X
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Who decided to take you to the doctor when you started to bud? Did mom notice or did you say something to her?

I'm also sorry your relationship with your mom is as you describe. But maybe you can use this as a bonding experience. Also, what scares you? Do you think mom will laugh at you? Yell at you for asking? What?

Feb 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Well I thought that she would yell and laugh at me. I noticed that my boobs started to bud although I didn't know that they were. I asked her what it was so she brought me to the doctor. And when I said thought up top is because I just emailed my mom. I told her of my problem and told her just to reply or only talk when were alone. (There are 6 people in my family including me.) thanks any way! I will right back her reply and what she has said and hopefully I will get a bra!

So basically I just emailed my mom about my situation about bras. She hasn't seen it yet but I'm afraid that when she does……she will act differently than I want her to. EX. She won't get me one and talk me out of it. I hope she will understand but what if she doesn't? What should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 10:29 AM
    Tell her to call me. (just kidding)

At your age, cold and nerves and excitement and athletics cause your nipples to harden and pop out and then be visible through your tops. That is especially why you need a bra, to add more fabric over your budding breasts and prevent embarrassing comments from boys especially.

Feb 19, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Tell her to call me. (just kidding)

At your age, cold and nerves and excitement and athletics cause your nipples to harden and pop out and then be visible through your tops. That is especially why you need a bra, to add more fabric over your budding breasts and prevent embarrassing comments from boys especially.
    Omg thanks soooo much. I think I might reply to my own email and add that

Feb 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
    Omg guys my mom is taking me this week and I'm screaming in my mind. She just replied to my email and asked what store. Any ideas??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Where are you? Sears? JC Penney's? Nordstom's? Macy's? Target?

Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Where are you? Sears? JC Penney's? Nordstom's? Macy's? Target?
    I live in CT. >edited out specific location<
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 10:59 AM
    Well, do you want a nice store where a knowledgeable saleslady can privately measure you for a proper fit, or just grab some bras off a rack?

Measure around your upper body and just under your breasts, using a tape measure to calculate one of the measurements.

Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Well, do you want a nice store where a knowledgeable saleslady can privately measure you for a proper fit, or just grab some bras off a rack?

Measure around your upper body and just under your breasts, using a tape measure to calculate one of the measurements.
    I totally need to be fitted and no I cannot grab stuff just off the rack.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackie70 View Post
    I totally need to be fitted and no I cannot grab stuff just off the rack.
    So is there a nice department store or women's lingerie/clothing shop near you?

Feb 19, 2013, 11:04 AM
    So is there a nice department store or women's lingerie/clothing shop near you?
    See I don't know!! Do you know where they get you fitted? And remember I'm only 10 So it has to be age appropriate. My mom will most likely take me pretty far cause she said this is a big deal in life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 11:07 AM
    See I don't know!!!! Do you know where they get you fitted? And remember I'm only 10 So it has to be age appropriate. My mom will most likely take me pretty far cause she said this is a big deal in life.
    Then ask your mom for the names of some good shops she can take you to. She will know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
    See that wasn't so hard. If mom doesn't know a place then I would suggest a Macy's or JCP as having sales people who can help more. Or look in the Yellow Pages for local stores.

Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 PM
    Thanks guys. You really helped!! 😜
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Thanks guys. You really helped!!!😜
    I was your age about a thousand years ago, so I know how it is to ask Mom about stuff. And I had two younger brothers who loved to tease me. Even my dad teased me. I had a boyfriend later named Chuck, and my dad would ask, "How's Upchuck doing?"

Let us know if your shopping trip was successful!

Feb 19, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Let us know if your shopping trip was successful!
    I will!!

Feb 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
    Well on Friday I'm going to the Milford mall with my friend and her mom and my mom. We're going shopping for bras. With your advice, I convinced my friend to tell her mom what you told me. Now she is going bra shopping with me!! Thanks guys for your help. We both appreciate what you have done.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 05:36 PM
    Well on Friday I'm going to the Milford mall with my friend and her mom and my mom. We're going shopping for bras. With your advice, I convinced my friend to tell her mom what you told me. Now she is going bra shopping with me!!! Thanks guys for your help. We both appreciate what you have done.
    Let us know after the shopping trip how it went!! And be sure to stop at a restaurant for some lunch or pie or other treat. I'm so excited!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell my mom I need a bra [ 6 Answers ]

Me and mom are not close but I need to ask to go bra shopping I need a bra before school starts :(

How do I tell my mom I need a bra [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am 11, my mom and I aren't exactly close, all my life I have been hideing my feeligns and letting them out whe I'm alone, so my parents don't expect me to ask questions like can we go shopping for bras, which I really have to, what do I do?? :( Bablybluz

How do I ask my mom if I need a bra [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I am 11 and I just want to ask my mom if when could I get a bra but she always says no. I need help to show my mom that I need a bra. How dob I tel her?

View more questions Search