Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dirty Lullaby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Vocal (singing) lessons and parents.
    I live in Greece and I'm 13 years old.I really want to take vocal (singing) lessons but my parents do not allow me to.They say that music in Greece doesn't have a future.Plus,they say they don't have enough money to "throw away",as I will never be able to get a singing career.I will not leave school or anything,but my love is music and I really want to learn how to sing.What can I do?Can I do some job or something?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Is there a singing group or something at your school or nearby? I'm sure that there may be a number of groups you could join that, although it would not give you the kind of 1 on 1 teaching that a tutor would, would still give you experience and some experience of singing in a group.

These are normally much cheaper or free.

Apr 12, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Well... music schools here are more expensive than teachers (which kind of freaks me out.. ) but my school has a singing group.I've heard one or two people say it's not good enough that's why I haven't joined it yet. x.x;
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 02:59 AM
    So join it to have some fun, because music is your passion, not because you want to be good.

It's better for your singing than doing nothing at all, isn't it? If you improve even a little, it will be worth it. You can look for other alternatives while you are doing this.

Apr 12, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Oh,all right.Thank you. ^-^ I guess it's the only thing I can do right now. T.T
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 03:02 AM
    When you are a bit older, and have a job, then you can maybe pursue seeing a vocal coach, if you are still interested in it.

Maybe there are other vocal groups in your community, you could try contacting them. But your school's group is a great place to start at your age.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 03:04 AM
    If you go to church, you could maybe start there and join the choir? You may not have much of a career choice in Greece in singing. That may be true to what your parents are saying. But, it doesn't mean that you cannot follow your dreams.

I would encourage you to pursue something that would support your singing, and that would be to learn a keyboard instrument first. Your parents might support an interest in that. They might think that there would be more of a chance of making a living at playing a piano or keyboard instrument.

You have a long way to go in life and plenty of time to find the ways to pursue what you would like to do. Follow the guidance of your parents, but never lose sight of the dreams that you have.

One of my loves is music, big time. It is not the only thing that I do for a living however. Singing does not have to be the only thing that you do for a living.

In one of the groups that I play the piano with and make money doing it, most of the people have careers in things other than music.

To try to make a career anywhere, in music, is a tough thing to do. But, if your heart is in it, you can make it.

The things that you want to do in life will change much over the next ten years or so. You will be exposed to many possibilities for your life. It is best not to get involved with only one goal for your life as far as a career right now.
    shanee Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Lullaby
    I live in Greece and I'm 13 years old.I really want to take vocal (singing) lessons but my parents do not allow me to.They say that music in Greece doesn't have a future.Plus,they say they don't have enough money to "throw away",as I will never be able to get a singing career.I will not leave school or anything,but my love is music and I really want to learn how to sing.What can I do?Can I do some job or something?
    Join the choir at your school and show them how much you really are interested. Also, try to lead songs and invite them t your concerts or recitals. My mother had no idea I could sing until my Senior year and boy was she shocked at how good I was.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supernatural Lessons from Natural Disasters and Wars [ 8 Answers ]

There are important supernatural lessons from natural disasters and wars that are often overlooked. From God's perspective, the message of calamities, such as tsunamies, hurricanes, and wars, is God giving "unsaved" survivors time and opportunity to repent. Calamities show: . Life is short...

New York City swimming lessons for babies [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a horrable experience. My 15 month old son almost drowned about half an hour ago but thank God he is okay! I don't know how I would have ever forgave myself if something would have happened to him. He didn't swallow much water but I don't want to take any more risks so I am now...

Vocal cat in heat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is in heat and is meowing(roaring) all through the night. Also she goes into heat cycles very irregularly. She will have a 7 day cycle of heat then be clear for a few days and then start up again. After this cycle is done then she is good for a few weeks then she goes again. Is this normal...

Singing! [ 1 Answers ]

I really really want to be a professional singer and everyone says I've got an amazing voice but I just don't know where to start. I'm 13 but I have to start now (singing for free), I'm thinking of going on the x factor when I'm 16 but until then I need to be occupied: with singing!. please please...

View more questions Search