Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBOB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2015, 08:36 AM
    Inspector said receptacles in bathroom need GFCI but breaker in panel is GFCI
    Our house has sold but they are asking we replace receptacles in bathroom with GFCI but the breaker in the panel is GFCI protected. We live in Ontario is it code that the receptacles need to be GFCI and we can not have the panel box GFCI protected? This was a recommendation by their home inspector.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2015, 08:40 AM
    The panel mounted breaker is fine. Make sure it works by using a ground fault tester or the test button on the breaker and then note that. I just sold a house and their inspector made 4 recommendations requiring correction. In each case, he was wrong. I took pictures, told them what was incorrect, brought the pictures and notes to closing and everything was fine.

Jul 25, 2015, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    The panel mounted breaker is fine. Make sure it works by using a ground fault tester or the test button on the breaker and then note that. I just sold a house and their inspector made 4 recommendations requiring correction. In each case, he was wrong. I took pictures, told them what was incorrect, brought the pictures and notes to closing and everything was fine.
    Thank you, this is what we thought but their building inspector said it was not code and that it would have to be changed.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 09:08 AM
    First off, he IS NOT a building inspector, he is a home inspector. He hold absolutely NO authority other than to get a lower price for the buyer.

My suggestion is to suggest the buyer get a new home inspector that knows what he is talking about. As long is the breaker is a GFCI breaker that is protecting the bathroom receptacles it is 100% legal and safe.
    Tell this clown he needs to go back to H-I school.

Jul 25, 2015, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    First off, he IS NOT a building inspector, he is a home inspector. He hold absolutely NO authority other than to get a lower price for the buyer.

My suggestion is to suggest the buyer get a new home inspector that knows what he is talking about. As long is the breaker is a GFCI breaker that is protecting the bathroom receptacles it is 100% legal and safe.
    Tell this clown he needs to go back to H-I school.
    LOL exactly what my husband said to our real estate agent about their HOME INSPECTOR
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 09:24 AM
    Tell the home buyer's to have their inspector show you in the electrical code that his statement is true.

Bet you a case of "Moose Head" he can't provide that proof to you! :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 10:51 AM
    If it's already sold then they have accepted it as is, and you are under no obligation to do anything more. The time to demand changes is before the sale is agreed upon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci wiring and bathroom switch controlling the power on and off to gfci plug. [ 3 Answers ]

I got a concern caused by my brother in law, I have had to perform a bathroom reno and needed to upgrade the wall switches and install a gfci plug, well all wiring was OK till after the drywall went up and now, no power to vanity light(power is on wire as it goes through attic, nothing comes up at...

Can I use a 50 amp GFCI breaker to install a pool pump that calls for 20 amp GFCI? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old pool pump with a variable speed pump that calls for a dedicated 20 amp, 2 pole GFCI breaker, but I have not found an outdoor box with a 20 amp GFCI. The power from the mail panel is coming from a 30 amp breaker and I want to split this line with a GFCI dedicated for the pump....

Should a GFCI outlet trip the breaker in the panel box? [ 1 Answers ]

Had a gfci breaker trip but it tripped the breaker box and not the outlet is there a reason for this?

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search