Existed for a small clothing store?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 22, 2015, 11:21 PM
    Excel is a good place to start.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2015, 08:30 AM
    Google "Inventory Control". Loads of ways to do it.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Even your very basic accounting software will allow you to do this
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Jul 25, 2015, 11:12 AM
    Start by performing a physical inventory count to establish your beginning inventory. Then track your inventory as it is received and as you sell it. If you're not using accounting software, or are using software without an inventory module, I recommend that you switch to software that does track inventory. If the business isn't large enough to be using a point of sale system that will assist with tracking items as they're sold, you'll have to adjust your quantities by hand (so to speak) by doing an inventory count fairly regularly.
    Sassylisab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2015, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerileycpa View Post
    Start by performing a physical inventory count to establish your beginning inventory. Then track your inventory as it is received and as you sell it. If you're not using accounting software, or are using software without an inventory module, I recommend that you switch to software that does track inventory. If the business isn't large enough to be using a point of sale system that will assist with tracking items as they're sold, you'll have to adjust your quantities by hand (so to speak) by doing an inventory count fairly regularly.
    Thank you so much for your answer. Would this mean I am basically starting from 'scratch' with no way to determine what my sales or inventory prior to this should be?
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Aug 23, 2015, 07:11 AM
    Pretty much. If you haven't been keeping track of your inventory prior to this point, the only way you would know what your current inventory should be is to go back to the very beginning of when you started your business and research all of your inventory purchases and your sales and create a spreadsheet or something similar to record the ins and outs of the items that you sell. That would bring you up to date. Then you would be able to determine if you were experiencing any inventory shrinkage (meaning theft or loss of your inventory).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business invoices/inventory control [ 0 Answers ]

How can I update business inventory while making an Invoice in Shoes retail shop? For example while I'm making an Invoice in Excel and when entering quanity of a particular shoe article with design number how can the particular design number quantity get subtracted in Inventory on a separate sheet...

Novelty gifts inc is experiencing some inventory control problems [ 0 Answers ]

Novelty gifts inc is experiencing some inventory control problems. The manager, Wanda LaRue, currently orders 5000 units four times per year for a total sales demand of 20,000 units. Each order costs $15 and each unit costs $1.50 to carry. What is the economic ordering quantity (EOQ)?

Decide which cost to implement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know which are the main aspects to consider before implement a cost system for example average, standard, fifo, lifo. Does it depend on the company activities? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search