Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirJaymz Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2015, 02:42 PM
    Sears snowblower valve issue
    I picked up this snowblower last season, but barely used it yet as the snow stopped falling by the time I brought it home. With the blizzard coming here in CT I started it the other day to make sure it ran and fixed a few minor thing that annoyed me like the muffler rattling around.

I pulled it out this morning and almost literally everything broke. The recoil cord on the first pull, the cable that actuated the drive to the wheels, the muffler snapped right off when I finally patched the other things back together... and then just a few min later it just stopped. After unsuccessfully trying to start it again, I threw the behemoth in the truck and brought it to a friend who's better with mechanics.

When we eventually pulled the plug to check it, he noticed the valve was stuck 'up'. It freely moved when pushed on lightly, but always returned to that same position when it wasn't being manipulated. From What he surmised, a spring or something may have broken for that intake valve.

So the question becomes, is it worth fixing? Is this something I can do myself (I successfully changed the engine on a sears tractor with help from here ). Will I even be able to find parts? Or would replacing the engine entirely be the only fix, or is that even reasonable on a machine this old?

There is very little info on the machine. It says "sears II" and the tag has model #536.882702 code 5289. It's a 32" model and looks like it's from the 80's.

Appreciate any input.

James
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 22, 2015, 03:35 PM
    Hi,
    Yes, try praying through the open valve with some lubricant. The valve is sticking on he varnish built up on the stem of the valve. May take more than more than one try. If you can find one of the non-flammable thread cleaners(they can be expensive) it will probably work within a few minutes.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change snowblower attachment on sears 16 [ 8 Answers ]

Do I have to take aprt any part of the attachment to get the belt on.

Have Sears/Haban snowblower attachment. What does it fit? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Sears snowblower attachment model 842.260621 My research indicates it was manufactured by Haban Mfg. and that in 2000 rights to some Haban items were sold to Agri-fab but not the snowblower. What models/brands of garden tractor would this fit? It appears to be powered from a...

Sears Craftsman Snowblower Manual [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find a owners manula, parts list and repair manual for an older model snowblower but Sears does not recognize the model number Any ideas? It's a 10 hp 256 inch cut Craftsman model 71-52110-1 Thanks

Sears craftsman snowblower trouble shooting no spark [ 5 Answers ]

Have esears snowblower that is not getting any spark. Points are good and I think the plug wire is good and the plug is new. Any ideas

Sears tractor snowblower installtion [ 3 Answers ]

I recently enherited a sears tractor model#917.25930 with a snowblower attachment model#842.260051 but can't find owners manual for putting them together I either need instruction or help find it

View more questions Search