Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alberrtt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2014, 08:07 AM
    Promoted to manager but no raise
    So my ex manager resigned the position after three months of being a manager because in those three months, he didn't get no raise at all. Now, I got his place of being a manager but have not received a raise. I'm trying to see if this is legal or not. Also, from what I've been told is, there is a 2 months grace period because it's a new title and that's why there is no raise. They obviously gave me the position because they saw I had potential unlike thee others. In the end, is this legal or not. Any sources would help. FYI: I'm in California if that helps. Thanks. -Alberrtt
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2014, 08:10 AM
    Sure its legal. THere is no law that you HAVE to get a pay raise at all much less when you get a promotion. So you see now why the ex-manager left.

The laws say who is and isn't considered an exempt employee (overtime laws) and a mnimum wage. THey could get away with paying Managers minimum wage if there were people foolish enough to work for it.

Me? I'd do it for a while... long enough to put that title under your belt and use it credibly on a resume. Then find a new employer willing to pay for it.

Clearly this one won't.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2014, 08:29 AM
    A lot of this is the art of clever negotiation, or a better word might be tactics. You don't wait for a raise, you GET it.

You plan exactly what you are going to say, and what your demands are.
    You pick the right time.
    You do it calmly but firmly.
    You don't say 'or else' but you are prepared to either quit or be fired. There's no point to any of this otherwise.
    If you do it right, it will work. Some employers figure that knowing how to get a raise is knowing how to demand it. You don't just demand a raise, you say exactly what the dollar amount is, and when it is to start (next paycheck). If you want to start with a quick sentence about how you have proven your good managerial abilities, then do so. Then the pay you expect in the next paycheck, and when you want the answer, in writing (I'd give him until noon the next day).
    Then you smile and go back to work. Never ever raise your voice.

If he says things like 'can't get the change into the next paycheck' he's lying. Of course he can. Say so.

$1/hr more sounds reasonable. But if being manager means time exempt, then calculate the extra hours. Do all this as part of your careful plan, in advance.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 17, 2014, 06:57 PM
    Completely legal. If they're paying you minimum wage, that's all they're required to do by law. They are not legally required to give you a raise because your title and duties changed. It's up to you to negotiate that before you accept the higher position. If you didn't do that, that's your problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2014, 08:48 PM
    Sure, they can give you a promotion and lower your pay, as a manager, some managers, of high tech employees, may earn less ( not common but it happens)

So, when the offered you the job. You do not just say yes, you ask for details, ask for a raise then, you have or had the right to say, no, to promotion I have turned many down.

Next, ask for (before you accept promotion) to have in writing, details of any raises.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2014, 03:58 AM
    Wherever did you get the idea that the law requires a raise with a promotion? Who told you about this so called waiting period?

As the others have noted, this is not illegal because there are no laws addressing it. What you need to do is discuss this with either your manager or HR. While it might not be illegal it may be against company policy. It is possible your manager "promoted" you but has not submitted the paperwork to HR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You've been promoted [ 13 Answers ]

Hello: By the power vested in me, I hereby pronounce you GOVERNMENT REGULATORS. Your first task is to regulate the BANKING industry. In that role, would you support rules that protected the bank, or their customers? Vote once. Your vote will be anonymous. I ask because there are some...

What is the average number of years taken by an executive to get promoted in US? [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a report on training requirements in developing ecenomies. For this I want to compare the average number of years spent by an executive to get promoted in a developed ecenomy as compared to that in a developing economy.

Hire's outside a company make more coming in than those being promoted within? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been working with a company for the past 5 years. He has had two big promotions that should have increased his salary considerably according to his market value rate. When he asked his manager if he could be paid market value rate, the manager responds that the company cannot give...

View more questions Search