Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Harridan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2014, 08:39 PM
    Is moisture barrier required for use with HardieBacker for floor tile installation?
    I am planning to use 1/4" HardieBacker with 13"x13" porcelain tiles on the plywood sub-floor of a bathroom and a contiguous toilet on the 2nd floor of a house. This floor is right next to bathtub and shower, so the environment will regularly be highly humid. Plus toilets are known to overflow once in awhile.

Therefore I am concerned about moisture potentially penetrating to the wood and to the ceiling below.

My question is: do I set the HardieBacker directly to the plywood sub-floor or do I need to use some additional form of moisture barrier? If so, which?

Thank you.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Aug 18, 2014, 06:56 PM
    My question is: do I set the HardieBacker directly to the plywood sub-floor or do I need to use some additional form of moisture barrier? If so, which?
    Hardie and all other CBU's are set into thinset mortar spread with a 1/4x1/4x1/4 notched trowel, then, fastened, taped etc. Floors are not normally waterproofed, it's almost impossible to waterproof a floor unless you build a curb in the doorway and also seal every hole including around the toilet flange. Putting a membrane under would be almost useless since it would be compromised when fastened.

If you want to add a level of waterproofing anyway, you can apply one on top of any CBU, but you'll also need to figure out a way to waterproof up the wall at least a few inches. The best way to do this is to use Ditra instead of a CBU, then flash up the walls with Kerdi Band. Of course it's still not waterproof because of the doorways and toilet flange, but it's somewhat better.

Ask for more details depending on which way you decide to go.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is there moisture dripping on the floor from behind the vapor barrier? [ 1 Answers ]

We put an addition on to our home and as diyers just finished the vapor barrier this morning the floor is wet in a couple of places and the insulation is wet on theoutside wall of the house... we also live in saskatchewan where last week it was - 30 today it is 0 degrees Celsius... do I have to...

When fastening wood to a basement floor should there be any moisture barrier ? [ 1 Answers ]

Oo protect wood from rotting or getting mold ?

Is a water proof barrier required between the bottom plate and a concrete floor? [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement with wood studs on a concrete floor

Do I level a floor for tile installation? [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting on my bathroom remodel, and am putting in 12 x 12 ceramic tile. The floor is linoleum on top of vinyl tile, I am ripping up the linoleum but the vinyl doesn't want to come up. Is it all right to leave it? I am planning to use 1/4 Hardiboard. Do I need to level the floor or is this...

Moisture Coming up Through Tile Floor [ 3 Answers ]

For awhile now we've noticed there is often a small puddle of moisture seeping up through our tile floor in our bathroom. It's near a toilet and a shower. How does one diagnose where there moisture/water is coming from without ripping up the floor to see if there's a pipe leak or something...

View more questions Search