Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slmbo28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Moisture Coming up Through Tile Floor
    For awhile now we've noticed there is often a small puddle of moisture seeping up through our tile floor in our bathroom. It's near a toilet and a shower.

How does one diagnose where there moisture/water is coming from without ripping up the floor to see if there's a pipe leak or something worse?

Also, if someone else has ever experienced this problem, how did they remedy the situation so the floor remained dry?

Thanks!
    me_and_u2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slmbo28
    For awhile now we've noticed there is often a small puddle of moisture seeping up through our tile floor in our bathroom. It's near a toilet and a shower.

How does one diagnose where there moisture/water is coming from without ripping up the floor to see if there's a pipe leak or something worse??

Also, if someone else has ever experienced this problem, how did they remedy the situation so the floor remained dry?

Thanks!
    I would dry the floor thoughly then place paper towels on the floor and watch closely to see where water is coming from.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
    First of all let's determine if this is a pressure or a drainage leak. To check to see if you have a hidden leak first shut down everything in the house, no flush, no drinks of water, and if you are on a meter go out and check the little pointer in the gage. It should not move or creep. If it does you have a leak. If you're on a pump then check the pressure gage after the pump builds up to pressure and shuts off. The gage should not fall and the pump come back on. If so you have a leak. Let me know what you find and we'll check farther. Hope this helps and thank you fot rating my reply, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Along the same lines as Tom lets pin it down. Shut off the water supply to the toilet and flush it. Place a fan in the room to circulate and dry the surfaces and then take a shower or bath. If the floor is wet it's the tub, if it stays dry start thinking wax ring on the toilet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seal floor against moisture, asbestos tiles and prep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 43 year old home in unincorporated King Co. Washington state. The two-car garage was transformed into a family room years before I bought the house. There is a moisture problem with the concrete floor that I think is generating mold. Before I install any permanent flooring, I need to...

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Finishing concrete floor with moisture issue [ 4 Answers ]

Our home recently got wet when a storm of the century hit the region. I don't know where the water came from since I wasn't home but I believe it came from the ground. Three months later I'm trying to finish the floors, ideally leaving the concrete exposed. Having done moisture tests it appears...

Floor warped & moisture in crawl space [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building a new home and I covered floor with tarps but me 3/4" tung & groove plywood still got very wet. Its been getting wet for about four weeks now and is warping .Question how can I fix floor after roof is on? I also have a lot of moisture in my crawl space because water on...

Preventing moisture and mildew from coming through a shed floor. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am converting my shed into a place to relax. It looks as if it was previously used as a workshop. You can see the ground in certain areas of the floor. I would like to lay carpet over the floor, but need to know what I should do prior to this to prevent any moisture from coming through...

View more questions Search