Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beckybryant38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2014, 09:50 PM
    borrowed money for a "friend"
    I borrowed a $1,000.00 from a finance company to help an ex friend that is on disability and she is refusing to pay the money back? Can I take her to court to get the money back?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2014, 04:38 AM
    Sure - you can sue her in small claims court. You will have to argue that a contract existed between you and your friend under which she agreed to repay you. She will probably claim that the $1000 was a gift from you, not a loan, and so any evidence that it was not a gift will be essential to you winning. Do you have a written contract? Or perhaps emails or other evidence of the arrangement? If not, you will have to argue that an oral contract existed - are there any witnesses to the agreement?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 5, 2014, 04:45 AM
    Just be forewarned that Small Claims doesn't force the person to pay, even when they lose the case. You are awarded the filing fee as part of the decision when you win, but if the friend never pays, you are out both. Some people don't care that they have a judgment against them. It gets more expensive to actually extract money from someone who doesn't pay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2014, 04:46 AM
    Of course you can take her to court. As ebaines noted, you will need to prove that there was an agreement to repay you. The fact that you borrowed the money may convince a court it wasn't a gift. So I think you stand a good chance of winning. However, that is less than half the battle.

Once you get a judgement, you will still need to collect it. If this person is on disability, it is likely they have little if any income and little if any assets. Which may make collecting your major problem. This person may be what is referred to as judgment proof. This means that even if one gets a judgment against them, it may be impossible to collect.

Also, in the meantime, you still have to make payments on the loan otherwise your credit will be affected.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2014, 04:55 AM
    Hope you learned something here. YOU are personally on the hook for this loan. Sure you can sue, as has been already pointed out, winning and collecting are two very different things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Borrowed money without consent [ 17 Answers ]

Both my mum and I have been arrested on theft as we borrowed money out of my grandmothers account which she lets us look after. She has dementia but we knew she wouldn't have minded had she been aware (deemed NOT dishonest in S2 of the theft act of 1968). I'm in the UK BTW. We've not been...

Step son borrowed money but won't repay. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a stepson that my husband and I loaned him $80k for a business deal that he ended up not being able to fulfill. It was set up as a contract between us including interest. He now says he can't pay us back. He has also quit talking to us. We have not done anything to him to be unkind, but...

Ex girlfriend owes me $12,000 for money she borrowed for school [ 5 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend owes me $12,000 I borrowed to her to pay for her college when I was with her. How do I go about getting it back? She refuses to answer calls and e-mails I send asking nicely if she could pay me back even if it's a little at a time.

View more questions Search