Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sldidaho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Portable A/C Unit is Tripping Breaker
    I have a portable Air Conditioner that needs to share an outlet with my computer/printer. I never had a problem last year, but this year it is almost instantly tripping the breaker. I cannot think of anything on that circuit that has changed. Any ideas why this sudden problem?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2014, 04:29 PM
    What kind of breaker? AFCI? 15 AMP circuit probably and compressor start draw is tripping breaker.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 25, 2014, 10:24 PM
    Starting current probably exceeds breaker limit and the addition of the computer hardware just adds to the problem. Can you run the air conditioner by itself? As the previous post said, arc fault or ground fault breakers could be tripping a unit that has developed problems that aren't apparent on a normal circuit breaker. If not on the above type breaker and you can start it with the computer equipment off, you are just overloading it.
    sldidaho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Thank you. I will try unplugging the computer and if that doesn't work, I'll call somebody. I appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My home a/c unit circuit breaker keeps tripping it will not stay on what wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

My home A/C unit is 4 years old just replace the coil last year, now the same unit want cool down the temperature after a few hours running. I went to flip the circuit breaker and notice it was tripped so a tried to turn it back on it would stay, so I cut off the air conditioner for now. What could...

Why does the fan on my A/C unit outside keep tripping the circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

My A/C is blowing hot air inside, but the fan will not run outside the house. When I turn the breaker off then on again the fan will start up for about 10 seconds and then trip the circuit again.

Unit tripping breaker and not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

The outside unit ran for short while, but it did not cool the inside... then it kicked the 60 amp breaker... now when you reset the breaker it will kick off right away... any and all help greatly appreciated

Air conditioning unit tripping circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 30 amp circuit breaker to my central air unit. It worked just fine last summer. This summer it started tripping the breaker. I changed the contacts just in case that was the problem. This worked for a couple months. Now, it is tripping again. Could it be the breaker is worn out? ...

Outside unit is tripping the circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

My Outside AC , which is a pretty old unit( 15+) recently started tripping the circuit breaker. If I go and turn the circuit breaker back on the unit will run for about five minutes then trip the circuit breaker again. Is it time to replace the unit? My AC repair guy did tell us last summer...

View more questions Search