Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunflowers1977 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2007, 08:00 AM
    New Puppy Is Sick
    I just adopted a 4 month old Bloodhound- Mastiff mix from the shelter. Picked him up from the vet yesterday. They delayed his neutering because he has an upper respiratory infection. Last night @ 6,I gave him his antibiotic (Baytril). In a few hours,he went from happy go lucky, to laying around. At 5 this morning, he vomited, then again 45 minutes later. His nose is warm. He barely drank any water,and is uninterested in food. No diarrhea and he is still urinating. I can't get a vet visit until Saturday morning.Any suggestions?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Try to get him to drink some chicken broth and/or pedialite. He needs to remain hydrated. I am sure labman will be by with more advice. You may want to consider finding another vet and seeing if they are willing to squeeze you in. Doesn't sound like he is responding well to the antibiotic and I am very disappointed that the vet's staff will not squeeze you in for a follow up. That does not bode well for your relationship with that practice.
    olivia_7 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers1977
    I just adopted a 4 month old Bloodhound- Mastiff mix from the shelter. Picked him up from the vet yesterday. They delayed his neutering because he has an upper respiratory infection. Last night @ 6,I gave him his antibiotic (Baytril). In a few hours,he went from happy go lucky, to laying around. At 5 this morning, he vomited, then again 45 minutes later. His nose is warm. He barely drank any water,and is uninterested in food. No diarrhea and he is still urinating. I can't get a vet visit until Saturday morning.Any suggestions?
    Yea my dog had the same prob. He was a puppy and aall that stuff. He had parvo. They gave him an oppperation that was rather expensive(800$). So, just make sure you get fluids into him to get hydrated and if it gets worste contact you vetenary ER.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Yes, olivia, there is always a possibility for parvo, but I don't want to unnecessarily panic sunflowers. Right now, if the puppy continues to be unresponsive to fluids, food, and remains lethargic, you need to get him into a vet today for another evaluation. Please don't wait until Saturday. I don't like the fact that he vomited and appears to be getting worse and not better. The fact that he appeared to become worse after the medication tells me that you need to stop that medication and get him in for another evaluation. I am sorry I didn't mention that when I first posted.

Apr 5, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Thanks for the speedy responses!
    I DID find another office to take him to, in two hours as a matter of fact. I hope the little guy will be OK. I tried chicken broth AND pedialyte, he turned his little cute nose up at me:(
    So, hopefully I'll know something soon... I'll come back and report. Thanks a million!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Ruby may be giving me more credit than I deserve. If he doesn't improve, I would get him some attention somehow before Saturday.

You posted the good news while I was writing my answer.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Yes, Sunflower, please let us know what happens. I am so glad that you were able to find another vet. I always love to hear about such wonderful people such as you, who consider adoption above a breeder. And, I am very concerned about your little guy right now.

And labman, I don't give you any more credit than you deserve. Quite often, you or someone else, reads a post after I have answered, and sees something that was obvious and I just missed it. Or, another person thinks of things that might have slipped my mind. We all have our off days, you know.;) Working in unison is the best way we can ensure that people get as much info on a situation as possible.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 5, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Hey Sunflowers, make sure the vet gives him a parvo test ven if he hasn't broken with diarrhea yet. Unfortunately, URIs run rampant in shelters so it is not uncommon for him to have that. Other things to ponder: Baytril causing upset stomach? Abrupt diet change? Was he dewormed right before he came home? Bug the vet to cover all of your bases... good luck! That mix of breeds sounds like a FABULOUS dog! You must post pics when he grows up!
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 11:32 AM
    When he grows up MrsC? I love seeing all puppy pics! :p A mastiff/bloodhound mix is one that I would LOVE to see as a puppy! Those cute droopy eyes and jowls. How can anyone resist?

By the way, you brought up some good questions for her to ask. Sunflowers is probably at the vets now. So, sunflowers, when you see these posts, if you didn't ask the questions that MrsC has brought up and you are still unsure of what is happening, call the vet back and ask before the end of the day. And let us know the status.

Apr 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Thank you all SO much for your help!! Lil guy had hookworms and whipworms and I asked if they could test him for parvo as well. I got his medication and since I have a special needs child at home, a family member volunteered to keep watch over him until he was well. 10 minutes after I dropped him off, she called to tell me he vomited a large amount of blood and had passed:( .
    I'm so sorry to pass on such sad news. I just wish there was something else I could have done, maybe there was something overlooked... so many "what-ifs" and unanswered questions. I feel awful for taking him from the shelter, perhaps he would have had a more peaceful end:( .

I'm truly sorry you guys. Any idea what might have happened?:confused:

Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Sunflowers, this is most distressing news. I am so sorry, honey. He was a beautiful dog. I won't even try to hazard a guess as to what this could have been. But, understand this had nothing to do with you or the care you gave to him. You said you just adopted him, how could you have exposed him to anything that would have an result, such as this, so quickly? Whatever he picked up, he most probably had it when he was in the shelter. So, leaving him there would have made no difference in this outcome. Call the vet and find out what his/her analysis of the situation is. You need to go back to that shelter, show them the vet bills and speak to them about what it could have been. If there is the possibility of an outbreak of any disease there, they need to know about it. They have a responsibility to all the animals and the people adopting them to find out what is going on. There may be other cases such as yours. Most shelters will reimburse you, offer partial reimbursement, or allow you to adopt another dog. I know that third option is not something you want to deal with right now. But, you do need to go back to them and discuss this situation. After you find out what is going on, and what they are going to do about it, please post back, especially if they are denying any responsibility. I want to know about that and what shelter you adopted him from, if that is the case.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
    I am so sorry for your loss... please do not let it color your opinion of adopting other dogs. At 4 months of age... if he had a bad URI with the additional parasites and a poor immune system, that alone could do the trick at his young age. He was just too weak to fight it all off, sounds like. Was the parvo test negative?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Yes, thank you mrsc. I also don't want sunflowers to think this happens all the time and decide to turn to a breeder. And, you have made some very good points. Sunflowers, this does happen from time to time, and as mrsc states, please don't let it put you off to adoption. This is really an unfortunate and not that often, occurrence. It really is important to know what the vets assessment is before going back to the shelter, so that you can have a rational conversation with them. Most shelters are very good about these things and will offer to reimburse you. They don't knowingly adopt animals out that are very ill.

P.S. mrsc, just noticed your notation. Yes, I guess I can get a little crazed at times. Not good being such a loose pitbull at times. I get upset and take this stuff very seriously. I have seen a few irresponsible rescues. It worries and pains me when I hear about situations like this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
    I am really sorry to hear you lost him. Since I never miss a chance to urge people it adopt, I feel extra bad in cases like this, and unfortunately there are too many. When ever the subject of mixed breeds comes up, there are always post after post of about the great dogs people adopted from a shelter. When you pack hundreds of strange dogs into a shelter, there is going to be disease and heart break like yours. The shelters never have the resources they need to cope with the problem.

When I finish here, I will go to another site and likely find a couple of questions from people that are part of the problem. I really struggle writing temperate answers to people that keep intact dogs and have to ask questions showing a complete lack of knowledge about them. I really feel bad when somebody doing the right thing gets hurt like you have been.

Apr 6, 2007, 04:59 AM
    Hey guys! You all MUST be psychic, because I swore I'd NEVER get a shelter pet again:o After thinking it through, I've changed my mind. The people at the shelter were VERY understanding, and offered a new pet or a refund. Instead, I told them I wanted to donate the adoption money and I also picked up an application to volunteer. I figure they could use the extra help:p Yes, the parvo was negative, and I still have no clue as to what it could have been. I appreciate the kind words and although at times, I tend to have a "God" complex, I realized this was just out of my hands. I did all I could do for the little guy. I don't regret the small time we had together. Perhaps, one day, I will be ready to adopt another special friend from the shelter. Until then , I'll help out with others that need a good home.

I'm glad I found you all:) This is a great forum
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Oh Sunflowers, thank you so much for posting back.

You are such a wonderfully forgiving person. That poor little guy. Frankly, it was better he was given some individualized special attention and love in his short life, as you gave to him, than for him to die a lonely and miserable death within the confines of a shelter. If you do have a "God" complex, as you say, then there was a very good reason why he was placed into your hands.

I am so glad that you have chosen to work as a volunteer. They are always looking for helpful, dedicated, and caring people.

I send you grateful, sloppy pitbull kisses from the outerreaches of cyberspace. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I am the proud mother (not biologically, of course) of 10 mixed breed puppies. Today, one of them is ill. She is not eating, vomiting, and has loose stool. She will, however, drink water and her gums seem to still be pink. I am very concerned for her and for her 9 siblings. Please help!

Sick Puppy! [ 32 Answers ]

I adopted a puppy from our local pound two days ago. He's about nine weeks old. At first, he was relatively playful, ate a bit (although not as much as I though he should), pooped once (solid) and seemed generally okay except for a hacking cough. I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he was found...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My six month old lab has lost her apatite and has refused to eat the last two days she won't drink much water either. She had dry heaves last night. She has been around kid for the last two day's and I think they may have given bubble gum or kit kat bars or both. When do y'all think I should go to...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a litter of 7 pups, 6wks old. I went to check on them and mom as I always do around 9:30 pm and one of them was vomiting and shivering. Brought her in the house to try to keep her warm. She drank some water and vomited it up within 30 minutes. None of the other pups seem to have any...

Sick Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

On Friday night my puppy (10 month old beagle) was suddenly really lathargic, wobbly, practically falling over. We took her to the vet and they admitted her for the night. Pumped her full of fluids and she was released the following day, back to her old self. The vet figured she ate something...

View more questions Search