Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ausnash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2014, 06:40 PM
    Will neutering reduce licking on female dogs?
    Hello everyone,

My name is Austin and have a 2-year old Shetland Sheepdog who is about to be neutered. He has had a problem with licking the vulva of female dogs upon meeting them for quite a while. It got worse recently however. He gets completely distracted at that point, not even listening to me with his favorite tennis ball (unheard of any other time). I know that neutering won't solve behavioral problems. Only training can truly change that. Yet, I've heard that problems which are purely hormonal based will be altered, such as dominance fueled aggression. I figure that licking females is hormonal. Has anyone experienced this with their dog? Did anything change?

Please help me. Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Neutering should definitely help with this issue. I say should, not will, because at this point there will have to be training involved as well. This is now an unwanted behavior. Some of it is most likely fueled by hormones, but some of it is also fueled by repetition. In other words, he has now learned to act this way.

Teaching him to stop this behavior will be easier once you take away the hormones that likely caused this behavior to begin with. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain by having him neutered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Female Dog Constantly Licking Genitals [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old, medium sized, mixed female dog. She's obsessed with licking her anus and her vagina. Sometimes one, sometimes the other. She doesn't skoot across the floor or have any gross discharges coming out of either of them. I'm unsure if she has a problem or if she is just doing it...

Dogs licking each other? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Australian Shepherd named Sam and a Chihuahua named Lilly. Sam is neutered and Lilly is not. Sam and Lilly always play really really rough. They run through the house screaming and growling and barking. Sam will like chew Lilly and lick he head and back. When she sleeps, he will lick and...

Dog licking other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 19 month old black lab rescue mix female WILL NOT STOP LICKING my other 2 black lab rescue female and male 5 yr. old dogs. She licks their faces and mouths constantly and they hate it! Help! How can I stop Lucy from licking the other 2 dogs. (2 older dogs are not related).

Can a fungus infection be transmitted from a dogs saliva to a human via licking? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a fungus infection be transmitted to a human via a dogs saliva?

View more questions Search