Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redbomchele43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2014, 11:52 AM
    Please help! Adult dog gagging problem!
    I have a male Applehead Chihuahua. Don't know how old, I think 6-10 yrs old. My husband found him on the side of the road. We took him to the vet because when we picked him up, he would yelp. The vet thought that his ribs had been broke at one time but had never been treated. He said we just have to pick him up carefully, but for the last year he has been gagging.

In the beginning it was just once a week, a few times each time and then it went to twice a week a few times each time. Now its 3 times a week, 4 or 5 times each time and he has another symptom to go with it. He's vomiting white goop each time. He has a very good appetite and drinks lots of water and is very very active.

So I'm wondering if his ribs maybe causing it, or if it may be something else. I worry but mostly at night I'm worried we may wake up one morning to find him dead from choking. Can anyone please help?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2014, 03:09 PM
    This is best discussed with your vet. Sadly there's no way for anyone to give you a diagnosis online.

The gagging may be due to drinking too fast. Many dogs are guilty of this. But that's just a guess, not a diagnosis.

If this is a concern, it's time to take your dog to the vet.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my dog keep gagging? [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my 18 week jack russel puppy keep gagging

My dog is gagging on his water? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog started to drink his water and drank it too fast, which he seems to do lately. He then began to gag and it sounded like a "horse cough" and then he threw up a little bit of water. How can I slow him down when drinking to avoid this problem. This morning he is fine and running around like...

My poor dog keeps gagging [ 12 Answers ]

My dog keeps gagging like she trying to cough something up but nothing ever does. We've rubbed her throat & even tried help her when she is gagging but to no avail. And it's not all the time. She will be fine & then she start up. There's no provoking at all. She ate & drank last night. She's 4-5...

My dog is gagging [ 5 Answers ]

My dog is gagging like he is trying to spit up somethng and nothing comes up, I s there something I can give him to help...

Dog gagging/renching [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the...

View more questions Search