Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydognut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 09:32 PM
    My dog is gagging
    My dog is gagging like he is trying to spit up somethng and nothing comes up, I s there something I can give him to help...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 09:53 PM

It may be allergies. I am not quite sure exactly what your dogs gagging sounds like to know for sure but when my dog is in the yard she does a gagging type sound from the grass or pollen.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2009, 05:57 AM

What kind of dog is he?
    Is he gagging, or retching?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2009, 05:58 AM

Give water. Rub her upper tummy or her throat. This type of thing happens to my dog as well. Not that it helps the gagging but it helps her to relax.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 06:14 AM

Gagging or coughing can be a symptom of many things, tonsilitis, kennel cough, heart murmurs... if she doesn't stop the coughing in the next 24-48 hours (depending on severity of the coughing) she needs to be seen to by a vet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 10:11 AM

I know this is an older thread, but I just found out that my dog has a heart Murmur, and coughing is one of the symptoms, mainly coughing after they have been resting or sleeping. Could it be a reverse sneeze? Depending on the dog his/her pallat may be longer then normal, and when they do the reverse sneeze it will irritate the pallate and it then becomes swollen and they gag. Normally not an issue uless it interfers with their eating or breathing, or they are CONSTANTLY doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My poor dog keeps gagging [ 12 Answers ]

My dog keeps gagging like she trying to cough something up but nothing ever does. We've rubbed her throat & even tried help her when she is gagging but to no avail. And it's not all the time. She will be fine & then she start up. There's no provoking at all. She ate & drank last night. She's 4-5...

Still gagging [ 4 Answers ]

I have had my upper denture relined and I still gag is ammbensol or oragel the only numbing product I can buy?

Dog gagging/renching [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the...

Pomeranian gagging [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a female pomeranian that has been gagging very hard all day long and I was just wondering What could cause this and what I can do about it... Thanks, :) :)

View more questions Search