Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jncheideman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 07:51 PM
    We have lost water to our hose, in the pump house the submersible pump motor trips
    We lost water, so we went to the pump house the submersible pump motor tripped, we clicked the reset button and it builds pressure to about 38 PSI then trips again, so we replaced the motor, no change does same problem, so we replaced the 30/50 pressure switch, same problem exists.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 08:28 PM
    Check that pressure gauge is correct. Purchase pressure gauge (about $10) and check pressure at hose bib.
    Does pump switch have dry well protection?

Note: Pressure switches are adjustable, is the switch you installed adjusted properly?
    Attached Images

Jncheideman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2014, 11:21 AM
    No, it was the pressure switch that we replaced, where it has contacts that turn it on and off... not the dial thing in the pic...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 01:03 PM
    The dial thing is a pressure gauge that you can attach to a hose bib to check the pressure gauge on the tank.

The switch also works on pressure. Extremely unlikely that you had a defective pressure switch and replace it with another defective switch.

If the pump will maintain the 35 lbs of pressure but will not create enough pressure to turn the switch off, that would indicate either a defective pump, a leak in the piping between the well and the tank, or a blocked line to the pressure switch..

Turn breakers to well off. Watch pressure gauge for 10 minutes. It should remain at 35 lbs. Use some water, pressure gauge should fall. That would indicate that pressure gauge is working.

If pressure gauge falls during the first 10 minutes that would indicate that you do not have a check valve between the tank and the well pump, and that you have leak in the piping. If you have a leak and do have a check valve, the gauge will not fall.

With breaker off, open faucet and remove pressure. Remove switch, but leave it electrically connected. Turn on breakers briefly. You should get water out the pipe to which the switch was attached. That would eliminate the possibility of a blocked line to the switch.

You could have a defective pump but I doubt that a pump would work but not produce more than 35 lbs.

I suspect that you have a leak. That leak could be in the piping between the well and the house or it could in the well pipe itself.

Do you know if you have a check valve between the tank and the well?
    Is the tank located at the well or the house?
    You said you replaced the motor, does that mean you replace the motor and pump or that you just replaced the motor and kelp the old pump?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submersible pump lost pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a submersible pump that has lost pressure. It is reading 13 psi. The bladder tank is also not filling and the pump is not shutting off. Please help.

Pump lost prime and overheated motor runs but does not pump is the pump fried [ 4 Answers ]

Over night the pump lost primed and melted the sched. 40 fittings I replaced all the fittings and cannot get pump to prime the motor runs is it possible that the propeller was damaged from the heat?//

Submersible water pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well with a submersible pump the water has fine sand and now it is just sucking up mud? Is my well dry?

Submersible pump trips gfci [ 9 Answers ]

My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?

View more questions Search