Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dollslemonade Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2014, 07:58 AM
    I think I have Solanine poisoning
    I had a group meal with my housemates the day before yesterday and my housemate had potatoes that were green the whole way through, but she insisted they were fine so we could use them (I'm not a foody person so I trust her judgement more than mine) and she'd been eating them all week and she was alright so I chopped them up into wedges (with the skin still on), half cooked them in the microwave and half in the oven.

I didn't eat any more or less than my housemates but at 5.20 am the next morning I was forced awake by an awful feeling in my stomach, I managed to make it to my bathroom before I vomited for about three minutes. About half an hour later I had to go back to the bathroom but this time with a bowl as well as now I had diarrhea as well; this occurred frequently until about 2pm; I had to stay lying down or I'd be sick again and I only managed one pint of water, a satsuma and 3/4 of a Rivita from then till I went to bed at midnight.
    No one in my house was ill at all, but the only thing I can think of is the potatoes; I have always had problems with my stomach and gut so I don't know if I'm more sensitive to things or something, but all I had before that was porridge.

Today I woke up feeling fine, however when I got into the shower I had painful bloating, I lost the feeling in my arms for a few minutes and my vision blanked while I went dizzy; I had to quickly jump out of the shower and go to the toilet.
    Now I feel like rubbish and my arms are still feeling weird (though I don't know why that's happening), I can't stand up for very long again though I feel good enough to sit and I don't feel as delicate or weak as I did yesterday.

I don't really know what to do, I tried googling Solanine poisoning to see if there are certain foods or something to make it better or to eat after it's gone but there's absolutely nothing other than what Solanine poisoning is and what it comes from (green potatoes) does anyone know what can be done to alleviate my symptoms or what I can eat and drink? I've looked into how to help regular sickness and diarrhea but some of those encourage eating potatoes and carby things and I'm really not up for that.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 12:42 PM
    For the love of jam on toast at least go to your doctor, if you can't get an appointment TODAY, go to the ER. If you have this bad of symptoms for this long you REALLY need to get checked out.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 01:16 PM
    I would be in the emergency room. Let them call your doctor.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/nutrit...ll-780105.html

Too many issues to be just a coincidence. Have yourself checked ASAP.

Jan 20, 2014, 03:16 PM
    I'm honestly not ill enough to go to a doctor, I've improved since I wrote this and only have a little nausea and a few aches and pains from lying down so much; I've had some food (a slice of toast with a small amount of marmalade, a few mouthfuls of soup and even a small slice of my friend's cake-I admit the last one has made me a bit queasy but not sick) I think by tomorrow I'll be fine.
    I was just struggling with how I was supposed to look after myself and what I was meant to be eating and drinking; I couldn't make it out of the house yesterday or earlier today but these past few hours have been okay, if I'm ill again tomorrow I will go but I don't like wasting a doctor's time when there are people who need to see them more than I do.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:41 PM
    We are told not to eat potatoes that are slightly green, and I have had no problem with them. This enzyme also occurs in tomatoes. I don't know what you had, but the potatoes were not the problem.

PS to my previous post How many internet connections did you dig up for the solanine issue. We have been eating this staple for years and actually, this is really obscure.

Jan 20, 2014, 03:59 PM
    I just googled 'green potatoes vomiting and diarrhea' and it comes up a lot; also they weren't slightly green, they were completely green and apparently that means there's toxins in them that can make you ill, which I did not know.
    I don't know for sure if it was the potatoes hence the 'I think' rather than just 'I have' but I haven't eaten anything else that could cause this reaction, I had porridge that morning, a few squares of a shared chocolate bar with a housemate, and then the potatoes (with tortilla wraps with salad) the day before it was porridge again and then some home made vegetable broth so I don't know what else it could have been.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poisoning [ 2 Answers ]

I accidentally, and stupidly, inhaled bleach and ammonia yesterday and I woke up with a sore throat and neck pain. When should I see a dr?

Sun Poisoning? [ 0 Answers ]

I went to the beach for the weekend and got blistered on Saturday.I have been in pain and yesterday & today I have swelling in my legs.My legs also have these tiny red spots on them.No itching though.What's going on?Is this sun poisoning?When will it get better?

Food poisoning [ 3 Answers ]

I thoroughly defrosted some chicken pieces in a plastic bowl in the kitchen. The room temperature I would say was warm/cold, kitchen cold you know with that icy breeze that comes in kitchens. Anyway, the chicken had started to go from that frozen white colour to slightly brown. I cooked it, I...

Lead poisoning [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am moving in an apartment where there is lead paint. In the apartment upstairs they will do Some renovations, including removing the wall papers, sand the walls and paint the walls. I am asking if it will be a problem for my health if the dust containing lead from upstairs will spread...

Food poisoning [ 4 Answers ]

My son left for Albany NY Sunday to work with a client and seems to have contracted some food poisoning somewhere along the line, either at a Burger King or a dinner cooked by a colleague where they are staying. Although I doubt the dinner, it was last night, and food poisoning and symptoms would...

View more questions Search