Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondetwyn2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Boyfriend is bipolar
    My boyfriend was diagnosed Bipolar several years ago before I met him. He had been taking his medication - 300 mg of Lithium Carbonate (3 times a day (900 mg total) up until a year and a half ago when he suddenly decided not to take his medication anymore when he was going through his divorce. His ex wife was always making sure that he took his medicine and would count it as well as threaten to count his medication to see if he was taking it. They fought over this subject many times. He said that he didn't want to take any medicine anymore because he was tired of taking pills. I have never nagged, insisted or threatened for him to take the medicine. He has actually done well without it up until recently when we both began to recreationally use crytal meth from time to time. It seems as though the last two times after using crystal meth his behavior has become worse and dark towards me. Hateful, distant and withdrawn.
    How do I react towards this behavior. It hurts when he is angry and hateful with his words towards me and I am always patient and quiet in return. I know that the meth use is not good and it wouldn't bother me to never do it again. He refuses to take his Lithium and I don't know what to do. Can you give me some suggestions?
    CleverGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Stay off the meth- too many "cooks in the kitchen " for someone who has psychiatric issues... It can be an extra "unbalancing" factor...

Talk to him about his meds and work on a strategy- I have a checklist of signs I need to reconsider my meds (either going back on or switching)- an actual physical checklist because when I'm swingin' I can't figure these things out rationally...

It helps me... Might help him...
    Also there is a really great book called the Bi-Polar workbook (I got it from amazon) which has been really helpful for laying out my symptoms and game plans so I could be more "normal" and proactive (I no longer am bipolar... my bipolar was caused by a hormone disruption of huge proportions... )...

It's a hard thing to do and get the patient involved in but you are an awesome girlfriend to care so much!
    Best wishes, big hugs,
    Bek
    Etsy :: Mother's Day Gifts: Handcrafted Jewelry and Shea Butter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suicidal Bipolar Boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially if they have been through something similar. I have been dating my boyfriend off and on, mostly on for the past three years. He's grown increasingly more violent towards me. He never beats me up or anything but I'm definitely frightened by...

Bipolar? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing...

Could I be bipolar? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that I suffer from more than one type of depression. I've been like this my whole life and it only gets worse with age. I have lots of depression symptom, I've taking antidepressants. But lately little things have seem to stress me out so much more. I have lots of mood swings several times...

My boyfriend is bipolar! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend is bipolar and I was just woundering if someone could tell me a little more what it is and how I can help him, and if I can in any way thank yall soo much this really helps me a lot. [email protected]

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search