Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afrustrated1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2014, 07:30 AM
    99 Taurus just stopped running.
    I have a 99 ford Taurus drove it to take little brother to lunch brought it home and it hasn't started since new battery turns over good tries to start just won't run
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2014, 02:20 PM
    Basic Ignition System Troubleshooting

Greater than 90% of all "crank but won't start situations" are electrical-related,not fuel. The tests below assume there is no problem with the timing belt orengine compression.

A summary of tests that should be followed, if you are experiencing a"crank but won't start situation," are:

1. Battery Test. Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts storeswill test and charge batteries for free. Clean the battery terminals andconnections.

2. Fuse Test. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light ormulti-meter.

Using a test light or multi-meter is faster, more accurate, and eliminates thepossibility of replacing a fuse in the wrong slot. This is easy to do in thedark and cramped location of most under dash fuse boxes. Be very thorough,since it will save a lot of time and money. Determine everything that is on thecircuit, for a fuse that blows.

3. Check Engine Light (CEL) Test. Turning the ignition switch to ON, does theCEL come on and then go off after 2 seconds? If not, a fuse may be bad; the PCMmay be failing; the main PCM ground may need cleaning; or the ignition switchmay be bad, due to wear, pitting, or melting.

4. Fuel Test. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear thefuel pump in the gas tank run? If not check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pumprelay, in the under hood fuse/relay box. Remove and clean the contacts to thefuse and fuel pump relay. Consult your Owner's Manual for their locations. Ifyou hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run, the odds are that the fuel pump isfine. Modern-day fuel pumps are extremely reliable and rarely ever needreplacing. Many mechanics, who don't know what they are doing, rush to replacefuel pumps. $750 later, the customer finds out the fuel pump was fine and wasnot the problem after all. Instead, focus on understanding the electricalaspect of the fuel system, including the ECM. I've seen many cases where simplycleaning the main ECM ground solves the fuel problem.

5. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Test. Attach a code reader to the under dashdata link connector, turn ignition switch to ON, and record any codes that werethrown.

6. Spark Test. Perform the standard spark test; i.e., remove a spark plug wireand attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenientground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for agood, solid spark. If the plugs don't spark properly, a) replace the IgnitionControl Module (ICM) and coil, or b) replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CKP) and coil on distributorless ignition systems (DIS). ICMs, especially, arevery problematic. I recommend replacing ICMs, CKPs, and coils every 120,000miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. Bench testing ICMs and coils are notreliable. Frequently, even if the plugs spark, the ICM is bad because heat hasaffected the microchip inside and it does not fire when the PCM wants it to.Crankshaft Position Sensors set ignition timing, supply the RPM signal, anddetermine engine speed.

SUMMARY

If the CEL comes on and goes off normally, all fuses are good, there are nocodes, you have spark, the fuel pump runs, but the engine does not start, theICM or Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) may be bad and should be replaced.CKPs, because of their proximity to the crankshaft and exposure to the elements(water, salt, grease, dirt, and stones), commonly fail. Before replacing theCKP, try removing and cleaning it with WD-40 and a rag. Exposed to high heatand vibration, the extremely thin coating of insulation on tightly wound CKPcoil wire can break, causing an internal electrical short. Heat can, also, crackthe sensor's housing and even cause the coil windings to expand, leading tofailure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car stopped running [ 0 Answers ]

Have a 1990 honda cive dx hatchback and Was driving in the morning made it about 200feet and the car died and won't start again everything else works in it and am only getting spark to 1 cylinder put in a new distributor and still only getting spark to 1 cylinder what can I do to get it running

The transmission doesn't downshift when stopped at a light, on a 1999 ford taurus [ 1 Answers ]

After running at highway speed for a while, the transmission doesn't down shift when stopped but down shifts when you take off

2001 Ford Taurus running very rough, knocking at idle [ 3 Answers ]

The vehicle has just had the radiator replace and bled(by me). When it was being bled, a good bit of water splashed onto the engine(serpentine belt area). A few days later, I was driving it and it began to overheat again and shut off before I could find a safe place to pull over. The car still...

98 accord stopped running [ 1 Answers ]

Was driving my accord down the road at 55mph when it just shut down like somebody turned off the key. Coasted to a stop, waited 5 min. the car started right up. Back on the road a mile down at same speed the same thing happens. Pulled over and again waited a few minutes, can started and idled...

GE Dryer Stopped Running [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 year old GE Dryer that stopped running yesterday. I started a load of clothes with no problems, and went out to get them about 4 hours later. Well, a cord had been laying over the timer switch and it would not let it turn, so the dryer ran the entire time. The dryer was not hot at all,...

View more questions Search