Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shaunmike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Girlfriend wants a break
    Okay so like the title says my girlfriend wants a break but I do not. She works 40+ hrs a week goes to school full time, has a 500 dollar car payment AND has family issues between her mom and dad cheating etc. SO basically we were fine she had actually told me recently that she is so lucky to have someone like me in her life. We were doing just fine that whole day nothing out of the ordinary. Then as night time rolls around she starts crying saying that she's not happy.

So basically we talk and she says its not me at all and I make her happy and smile and its nothing I've done. She basically said she's not happy with herself she treats everyone in her life like crap basically her mom sisters dad grandma she always seems like she's on a short fuse which I figured is from school work home life and financials.

So we're on a break but its not even really a break she texts me and I text her its not how we usually text its been short lately. But with a break I know you're not supposed to talk but I feel like not talking to her would make her more sad I don't know. So I mean I text her never anything negative always asking how her day is and such. I left her flowers and that's about it.

She's stopped by to see me and its only been like 3 days. She also wants to go to the gym together again. But I'm so confused because we still talk she wants to go to the gym and all that. And me and her family are really really really close. And I tell her that I love her and I want to be with her and she says she knows how I feel and she said she loves me as well. She just needs to make herself happy.

She also said she's not breaking up with me because none of it is my fault and she just needs to figure out her life. So I'm basically lost. I don't know why we have to be separated and such but yea.

Please opinions, stories anything would help thank you!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 3, 2013, 08:17 PM
    It sounds like she doesn't want a 'break' as much as she needs some 'space'. In a way it is playing with words. 'Break' seems to be an over-used word which generally leads to 'break-up'. In her case, it sounds like she has enough stress in her life that she needs something to give before she explodes. You and the relationship seem to be the only things that have some give in them that she can have some control in making decisions and can get some breathing room.

Give her some space and relax any expectations you have for the relationship. Encourage her to find better coping skills than striking out at other people. Encourage her to go with her friends or try new hobbies. Try to be more casual than intense when you are together or talking. Try to keep from adding more pressure and stress. Have fun with your friends and hobbies.

You might talk to her about the difference between a 'break' and 'space' and see how she reacts. Listen to what she says.

One other thing to keep in mind, if the knowledge of the infidelity is a recent development, she may be scared of feelings and commitment due to her parents' issues. If she thought things were fine between them and then found out they aren't, her world and perception of relationships was shaken up. This is something she will need to work through and all you can do is give her support and let her know you are there.

Good luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2013, 08:27 PM
    In a case like this, when the couple commitment has been broken, its best to walk away and give them what they ask for. She has a lot on her mind, but she still needs you as an emotional tampon to distract her from her misery. I would be busy and unavailable because to be honest, its unfair for you to hang around having hope she gets her head together.

You need to protect yourself from her confusion by being honest and simply inform her that YOU need time to get over this disappointment and she needs time to unconfused herself. Not fair she still wants you in her life, and you at least want a commitment, not a break.

You are no longer a couple so stop acting like one when she wants to be a hang out buddy. She can't have it both ways, why would you let her? She isn't as confused as you think, nor is as confused as you are. She wants friendship, NOT love. Let her find happiness without you. She willmiss you,or she won't.

Disappear! Sorry I know it sucks but you better look out for you, because she ain't. She can't.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Give her a full and completely break, remember that if you don't you will probably be here posting as to how she broke up with you. Give her what she is needing, and if she wants to continue it she will contact you to try to continue where y'all left off, be prepared for that day to never come though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend needs a break, wants to be my girlfriend again, but feels she can't. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A month ago I found out my GF lied to me about a picture she sent me around the time we started talking online, almost 2 years ago. Since then we started dating in the real world and the picture never came up again. Until I found out through a friend she wasn't the girl in the picture. ...

Girlfriend wants a break please help [ 9 Answers ]

We been together for three years now. 2 days ago she texted me this. "babe I've been thinking about us. I feel like I need some time apart. I'm a lol frustrated that you don't have a full time job, I wish you'd have more of a drive to pursue work. I want to be confident that if we do get married...

Should I break up with my girlfriend [ 11 Answers ]

Hello people I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for a year now and the problem is we couldn't see each other. Since we started our relationship every time we try to go out, something bad happens, and I am always available, but she is busy. And she stopped trying for like 6 months or...

Girlfriend of year and half wants a break/break up [ 14 Answers ]

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have been with the same girl for on off about 3 years now. The most recent time we have been going out has been a year and a half and now all of a sudden she wants a break/breakup. I guess I kind of saw...

View more questions Search