Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Oct 22, 2013, 06:25 PM
    4K external video card for laptop?
    Does a 4K external video card for laptops exist?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 25, 2013, 09:54 AM
    4K what? I have never seen an external video card for a modern computer, so I'm going to lean toward "no" for any common laptop. One of the difficulties with such a thing is the laptop would need a high-bandwidth interface to connect the card to, either a proprietary interface or an external multi-lane PCI-E interface using current interface technology. Even in current desktops the graphic interface is one or more specific PCI-E slots. The inability to upgrade is one of the limitations of gaming on a laptop.

Update: Googling, I found How to make an external laptop graphics adaptor, so the answer is technically "yes".

If you want a portable gaming platform with more widespread hardware support, look into mini-ITX motherboards and cases. Some can accommodate full size video cards.
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Oct 25, 2013, 10:34 AM
    Great! Thanks for the info. Perhaps I should have said "graphics adapter" rather than "video card".

Check out 4K monitors. They're the next evolution of monitors.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 27, 2013, 07:59 AM
    Yeah, upconverting typical laptop resolutions to 4K doesn't really gain anything, and may look worse, instead of using a video card that can output native 4K resolution. 4K has 3840x2160=8,294,400 pixels. A full HD laptop has 1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels or 2,073,600/8,294,400=25% of the pixels of a 4K display. Therefore any upconversion will be fabricating 75% (3 of every 4) of the pixels displayed at 4K resolution. If the laptop has a lower resolution than HD the scaling ratio is even higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP Laptop Video Card [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone heard of video card problems with an HP Laptop?

How to find out my video card is internal or external [ 2 Answers ]

I'm buying a new LCD monitor. Used to be have a CRT So I have to find out my video card is internal or external (ATI READON 9250)

Video input card for a laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a external card with a BNC input that will allow a laptop to be used as a test monitor for a standard NTSC video format on a CCTV system. I help maintain our camera system. At my old job we had small testing monitors for focusing cameras, but I'm just wondering if there is a...

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Internal and external vga & Video card with TV out... [ 2 Answers ]

Ho.. sorry I an a beginner on this field... I want to buy a vga or video card for watching movies loaded in my computer on my TV screen.. so I want to know what is the difference between the VGA and The Video card.. my computer is pentium 4 so if I bought a 256 mb vga card or video card with...

View more questions Search