Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtkirk7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
    Small engine backfires & knocking
    I have a Briggs & Stratton Twin cylinder 16 hp engine used by a Simplicity lawn tractor. So far, I have installed a new battery, new spark (and gaped) plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, and changed the oil and filter. The flywheel has been removed and the keyway has been inspected. It is intact and not sheared or damaged. The engine will start with the air filter removed. It constantly backfires through the carburator, along with a metallic pinging sound from the engine. What would be my next course of action?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Check your connecting rods... metalic knocking is NOT a good sign... once something breaks and ventilates the engine block.. it goes from repairable to scrap metal.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Hi,
    Chaecki the valves. Will give links if uo give numbers.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of engine power and engine backfires on riding lawn mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a craftsman riding lawn mower and the engine runs rough - cutting in and out. The engine also backfires while driving. To date I've changed the fuel filter and spark plug. Any ideas? Thanks,

20 hp briggs and stratton engine won't start backfires [ 2 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old 20 hp I c twin started last year but doesn't start this year. Cranks over but sputters to get gas, check fuel line to carb, getiing gas to intake, tries to start blows blue smokes out exaust and backfires and stops trying to start. Replaced spark plugs still not starting,cloged...

13.5hp I/C briggs engine backfires through muffler and carb [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,I have a briggs intek 13.5hp ohv single cylinder engine I just rebuilt.when I go to start it up I have to choke it to get it to start.while its running it back fires through the exhaust and carb.Also the govener hunts.If I choke it half way it will idle high and run without backfire or...

Briggs 16.5 engine backfires [ 3 Answers ]

Took my Murray 42" select out of mothballs from winter storage. Replace the battery, checked and cleaned fuel line, checked float valve and needle, cleaned the fuel bowl, filled tank with new gas. Started first crank, but after a few seconds it began to backfire (shot flames) and continued until I...

Pulley removal B&S small engine [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove the drive pulley from the drive shaft on a Briggs and Statton engine?

View more questions Search