Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecemowerman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2013, 11:32 AM
    John deere 318 with b43g onan engine oil issues
    I have a 318 john deere lawn tractor with new pistons installed. After engine runs @ 15 to 20 min under load oil comes back out breather and goes into carb. Causing engine to choke out. Unit has new pistons .010 over sized
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Hi,
    Just going to make a guess here! First let me say that what you have going on is an imbalance of crankcase pressure that is forcing the oil into the carb through the breather. The crancase is pressurizing. Your engine is an opposed twin valve-in-block engine. Because of the time you say that it takes for the problem to appear, I am going to guess that the valves are adjusted too tight and the heat that develops over that running time causes one or more to not quite shut or do it incompletely and causing your crankcase pressure problem.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    ecemowerman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 02:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Just gonna make a guess here! First let me say that what you have going on is an imbalance of crankcase pressure that is forcing the oil into the carb through the breather. The crancase is pressurizing. Your engine is an opposed twin valve-in-block engine. Because of the time you say that it takes for the problem to appear, I am going to guess that the valves are adjusted too tight and the heat that develops over that running time causes one or more to not quite shut or do it incompletely and causing your crankcase pressure problem.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks will go back and check, valves were set to spec after putting in new pistons but could have adjusted to tight. Also could the idle speed have anything to do with problem also?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
    Hi,
    Spr\eed will usually only throw a rod.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My john deere 318 keeps stalling [ 3 Answers ]

I start mowing and all of a sudden it stalls. It seems like something is getting hot.

John Deere 318 [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to start my 318 all it does is click. I took the starter and had it checked was okay. Put a new solenoid on didn't help. Checked all grounds okay, Any Ideas what may be the problem. Thanks Kline

John Deere 318 lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering how I can get a wiring diagram for a John Deere 318 lawn tractor? I have found everything on the web except the diagram.

John Deere 318 not getting gas [ 3 Answers ]

I have a john deere 318 and I have replaced the fuel pump and clean out the gas tank and put new gas in and I am not getting gas to the carbeurator. It cranks up hwen I put some gas in the carbuerator but only stays running for a few seconds

John Deere 318 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deere 318 with an Onan engine. When I try to move the mower it wants to die after the hydrostat safety switch is released. If I "tie" down the safety switch I can drive it, but it dies as I hit the mowing deck. Any hints on what to replace? Thanks, Rod Hite

View more questions Search