Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SFM Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Junction box as a cover?
    I have a junction box currently that I need to add wiring to.

It has the opening and internal clamps to add two more wires but this would put the box over its legal limit of wires in the box.

The box is in a location that can be gotten at without removing any part of the building.
    The box is an approved junction box.
    The box has internal clamps for the wiring.

So my question is do I have to replace the box to add wires or can I use another box as a cover to increase the box size.

Example: The box is 4x4x2.5 and if I use the same box as a cover it would be 4x4x5.
    The box as a cover actually fits tighter then the cover that was originally on it.

Is it legal to do this?
    If not are there covers that expand junction boxes?
    Or is my only option to replace the box with a bigger box?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Review this previous post for a picture of a 4x4 extension box, which is what you need to add more volumn to the existing junction box, then cover with the existing plate you have.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...=extension+box

What you propose is not necessary, not really sure how you would attach one box to another.
    SFM Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:45 AM
    To attach the one box to another you just face both open sides of the box to one another and use the exsisting screw holes to attach one to the other (wish I had a picture).

So if the extension both is legal do you think the flipping of the boxes would be legal?

Also if my box is fiberglass\plastic can I add a metal extension to it?
    (I am guessing yes as long as its grounded)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 07:09 AM
    No don't use another box, yes a metal box will be fine as long as it is grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Junction Box Fill [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find what the fill capacity on electrical junction boxes are. I found this chart The thing that is stumping me is do you count grounds or not? For example, the specific instance that has me looking is that I have a 4x4x1 1/4 box, with 4 12/2 cables in it. If you don't...

Dedicated Bathroom Junction Box [ 2 Answers ]

The homerun for a dedicated bathroom circuit currently supplies a pull-chain light in a closet (closet is not in the bathroom). I would like to remove the pull-chain and have a junction box there. Is this okay or since there is a junction box in a non-bathroom location does that violate the...

Joining wires in a junction box [ 1 Answers ]

In wiring a house, I have each room's wiring pulled to a junction box in the attic. Each junction box will be a circuit, with a home run going from the junction box to the panel. There are more wires than a single wire nut can join. Do I use jumpers to group the entire bunch so that that all...

Junction box question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a quick junction box question. Is there a limitation to the amount of wires I can safely join in a junction box? If so, what is it and are there regulations to what size box I can use? Thank you. I would like the have 8 wires (neglecting ground) in one junction box (1 in / 3 out)....

Junction Box size [ 2 Answers ]

I have and oven with 10/3 mc cable attached. I am going to splice this to a 10/3 romex cable that I pulled from the sub panel. Is a metal 3" deep single gang box big enough? How many cubic inches do I need? Thank you

View more questions Search