Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpking Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Junction Box Fill
    I'm trying to find what the fill capacity on electrical junction boxes are.

I found this chart

The thing that is stumping me is do you count grounds or not?

For example, the specific instance that has me looking is that I have a 4x4x1 1/4 box, with 4 12/2 cables in it.

If you don't count the ground, I have 8 wires, and I'm fine (the box is stuffed, but allowable)
    If you DO count grounds, I have 12 wires, and I have to rip the box out, and make it bigger.

If I do have to make it bigger, can I use an extension ring? How many additional wires would 1 1/2 inch add?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 08:22 AM
    You should be fine with what you have. You are at the max for your 4x4x1 1/4.

Feb 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Thanks. If I had to add a cable, would the extension ring allow me to add one? I need to extend this cicuit, and I'd rather come out of this junction box, rather than a light fixture that is feeding from it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 08:58 AM
    You can add an extension ring but you may have to unmount the box and push it deeper in the wall. Otherwise the extension will stick into the room. That may not be possible especially if any of your existing wires eneter the box from the rear
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 12:50 PM
    As you can see by the chart, a 4x4x1.25 box can have 8 #12 wires. All the grounds are counted as one, so with 4 #12-2 cables each with grounds, you have 9 wires.

Adding the extension ring, which is needed for your 4 cables, would add capacity for 9 additional wires per the chart. With your existing cables, the extension ring will allow for 8 more #12 wires, since one will be needed for the grounds you already have.

This chart and other information can be found in Section 314.16 of NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ

Feb 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Thank you. So my course of action is clear now. I need the extension ring, so I might as well bring the power out of this junction box.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dedicated Bathroom Junction Box [ 2 Answers ]

The homerun for a dedicated bathroom circuit currently supplies a pull-chain light in a closet (closet is not in the bathroom). I would like to remove the pull-chain and have a junction box there. Is this okay or since there is a junction box in a non-bathroom location does that violate the...

Joining wires in a junction box [ 1 Answers ]

In wiring a house, I have each room's wiring pulled to a junction box in the attic. Each junction box will be a circuit, with a home run going from the junction box to the panel. There are more wires than a single wire nut can join. Do I use jumpers to group the entire bunch so that that all...

Best way to fill in old cellar [ 2 Answers ]

I actually saw a post on this site for filling in a hole in the yard. This hole I think is considerably larger. I'm considering following the advice given there, and trying to fill this hole with soil. The hole appears to be an old cellar for an older house that used to stand on the property. ...

Junction box question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a quick junction box question. Is there a limitation to the amount of wires I can safely join in a junction box? If so, what is it and are there regulations to what size box I can use? Thank you. I would like the have 8 wires (neglecting ground) in one junction box (1 in / 3 out)....

Junction Box size [ 2 Answers ]

I have and oven with 10/3 mc cable attached. I am going to splice this to a 10/3 romex cable that I pulled from the sub panel. Is a metal 3" deep single gang box big enough? How many cubic inches do I need? Thank you

View more questions Search