Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jul 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I believe that's what private Christian/Catholic schools are for. Personally, I'm against the bible in public school - but I'm also against public school (go figure :P). In this country where we have the freedom of religion and separation of religion & state, you have to be mindful of the fact that even though the majority may be christians, there are many who are not. Granted, there are some good stories in the bible, that I think teach good lessons/moral lessons, I do not feel it should be a text book where classes are centered around it. They have chruch for that. Or private religious schools.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 08:01 PM
    I don't get why anyone would want their child to be taught the bible in school. As several have pointed out on this thread, what makes the person qualified? What if the person teaching has different interpretations than what you want to teach your kids? It makes more sense to me that if you want to have the bible taught to your kids you do it yourself, send them to bible school, or hold classes with people in your community on your own time.

For those who might argue that teaching the bible is a way to expose everyone to Christianity, that can be done with an "Origins of Religion" class, or something similar. A class which focuses on the major religions of the world, their origins, their influence in our current lives (political, cultural, etc), and the basic tenets. The bible doesn't have to be the textbook in order to expose people to Christianity, but by teaching ABOUT it, people can make their own decisions.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It should be an elective. Keep the separation of religion and state.
    It should be available!
    As far as separation of church and state: there isn't any. Churches and religious organizations are tax exempt. But what if a fire breaks out? Or someone gets robbed on church property? The fire department shows up. The police show up.
    But our currency speaks to God. Our Pledge of Allegiance refers to God and trust:
    Here's a very good link... ever heard of Red Skelton?
    Pledge Of Allegiance To The Flag Of The United States Of America
    (copy and paste... if you got speakers and a like mind)
    This nation was founded on the freedom of religion. None included... none excluded.
    If we can't learn the differences and understand them in school, the lessons will be learned elsewhere.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
    EMS responds to private and public property because they are servicing the community. It has nothing to do with church and state.

Tax exempt status... well, I've never understood that one, personally. I suppose it's because it's offered to ALL religions, so there's no indication of endorsement.

"Under God" was added to the pledge in 1954 by President Eisenhower, and was ruled unconstitutional in 2002.

"In God we trust" was added to our coin currency in 1864 in response to increased religious sentiment. It was added to paper money in 1957, after having been declared our "National Motto" in 1956.

We are far from a nation which has an actual separation of church and state, but there's no reason to add more fuel to the fire and give more indication of the government endorsing religion. A "Bible Studies" class in public school would indicate to many Americans the state is endorsing Christianity.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I liked what someone said a couple of posts ago - teach about the Bible - not FROM the Bible. I think people go to school to get educated. Why, then, can they not get educated on religion? Not just the Bible, but any religion? It is a huge part of our society. Yet, we are willing to send our kids out ignorant about the subject. (Yes, I can teach my child at home.)
    I am not sure who would be qualified. There are people that study different religions - not just pastors - that could be qualified.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 07:32 AM
    [QUOTE=jillianleab]EMS responds to private and public property because they are servicing the community. It has nothing to do with church and state.
    QUOTE]
    In NE Florida, where I live, the ambulance/rescue is operated by the county, paid by my taxes, and a ladder or pumper responds as support. They respond to private and public including establishments of religion, regardless of denomination or affiliation.
    I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is.
    I hadn't heard the phrase, "In God We Trust," was found to be unconstitutional. Nor have I seen the phrase removed from printed money. I have no problem with the phrase.

I [I]did[I] hear that this country was founded, at least partially, on the freedom of religion. It seems now we're becoming a country that represses religion. To the point where we find our forefathers ideas, thoughts and opinions to be "unconstitutional?" I tend to think when they made some of these decisions against the fear of reprisal. That's how they started this whole thing. I'm not going to subvert them!

Tessy777 asked who will teach the classes: I don't know... who selects the teachers for other classes? They, the board or "powers that be," must have guidelines to determine a teachers qualifications.
    Redtruck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:44 AM
    I think that kids in public schools should get bible studie. Just because you are in public school doent mean you are not any closer to god than kids in bible school.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Redtruck,
    I think you missed most of the thread. Public school is paid for by all taxpayers and the government. Not all taxpayers or students are christians therefore either teach about all religions or none.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Here in Northern Virginia EMS is also operated by the county, paid for by my taxes, and mostly run by volunteers (fire and rescue, that is). I don't get what you are saying. EMS, private or public, is there to service the community. How does that have anything to do with church and state? Are you saying EMS shouldn't respond to religious institutions?

"In God We Trust" was not found unconstitutional. "Under God" in the pledge was found unconstitutional. Read my post again, that's what it says. If you find my words just too confusing, perhaps this link can help you: Pledge of Allegiance and its "under God" phrase

I don't think this country represses religion at all. You are allowed to practice whatever religion you want, you just aren't allowed to inject your religion into our government in such a way that the government is endorsing it. And sorry, but finding "Under God" in the pledge unconstitutional isn't going against our forefather's ideas. Read my post again and you will see the phrase was added in the 1950's. Last I checked, Eisenhower was not a founding father.

Assume a Board did select the teacher to teach a bible class - who determines the lesson plan? What does the teacher say about the story of Adam and Eve? Some say Adam and Eve is a true story, that's how we all got here. Some say it's a story to illustrate the need to resist temptation. Which do you want your child taught? What if the school teaches the opposite of what you want taught?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Yes, they should be exposed to all religions. That's my point. If only one version is available, they won't have enough information to make intelligent choise. Most of us choose by default... our first influences are frequently our only. I'll be darned if I can tell the differences, considering the options! And it may take longer than we think to gain enough of an understanding to say, "This is IT." That concept may seem foreign to some.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 08:10 AM
    jillianleab,
    Our fire/EMS is paid full time, 24/7. Our police are paid and also operate 24/7.
    My point on this is: there is only one 911. If someone passed out in church, our tax-paid EMS go there. If someone tries to mug the alterboy and steal the tray, the cops are called (not volenteer cops) THAT isn't separation of church and state, the way some understand it.
    Now, I admit I misread your previous post (sorry)

But this digreeses from the lead question posted by NowWhat. You're splitting hairs and I don't wish argue. Either I didn't explain my point or you don't believe me.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    I guess, for me, the Bible is a guide book. Our instruction book on how to live. Every question we have about life and how to live in answered in the Bible.
    BIBLE : an acronym for : BASIC INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE LEAVING EARTH
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:29 AM
    CaptainRich, I don't want to argue either, but I don't see how EMS responding to citizens in the community who are in distress violates church/state. The citizens pay taxes, which is why they get services. If a church has all it's windows broken out, the police respond because it is a community building and breaking out windows is illegal. When firemen put out a burning church the government isn't endorsing any religion, it's protecting it's citizens and buildings from harm. The church has been given tax exempt status on a federal level, so EMS is still required to respond. Same with non-religious institutions which are non-profit and tax-exempt. You seem to have a very different view on church/state than most.

We have digressed; I vote if we want to continue our little topic we do it via PM. Your choice, I said what I wanted to say.
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jul 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    This nation was founded on the freedom of religion. None included...none excluded.
    If we can't learn the differences and understand them in school, the lessons will be learned elsewhere.
    Yes. But freedom of religion also means the freedom not to be a christian and not have the bible shoved down our throats if we choose we don't want any part of it. People who want to learn about the bible or christianity go to church or religious school or bible study groups. There is NO need for it to be a part of the public school system. What about the jewish kids? The musliam kids? The wiccian kids? The athetist kids? Just as everyone has the right to believe in what they feel is right for them, they should also have the right not to have things forced upon them. Learning about the differences about different peoples faiths and beliefs is one thing, and I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a class that teaches about ALL the different religions, and how they came about - a class that would teach tolerance and respect for others beliefs. But a class that teaches the bible? No. Sorry. I would yank my kids out of that school so fast the teachers head would be spinning! Leave the bible in church or in your homes, but don't force it on other peoples children just because it's YOUR truth and YOUR guide book through life.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
    When offered as an elective - no one would be forced to participate.
    I remember when I was in H.S. - a biology class that I HAD to take in order to graduate had a section of study on evolution. Now, I don't believe the evolution theroy at all.
    I did opt out of that section of study, because it was against my beliefs, but if they are going to study evolution - then why not other things. You (the school) are offering one thing - but denying the rest. Is that right? I think not.

But, again, the question at hand is - if this was offered as an elective, if your child choses to take this and learn more - would you have a problem. Remember, elective is not forced. I mean, we think our kids are responsible enough at 16 to drive a car. Some are still in school at 18, they are responsible enough to vote, go into the military, etc. Are they not responsible enough to choose a class of study that interests them?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Evolution is scientific fact, I have no problems with it being taught as such.
    The Bible is a work of literature, I have no problems with it being taught as such.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I do not believe that evolution is a scientific fact. I think it is a theroy. It goes against EVERYTHING I believe. But, yet, it is taught in school.

And, if the Bible is just literature - then why not teach it in English class? Right along side "To kill a mockingbird"?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:56 AM
    The neat thing about science is that you can get a bunch of you together and try to disprove the studies/theories by publishing your research findings and have others comment on it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Yes it is a theory. Thank you for confirming me. A theory is something that is confirmed by all available evidence. Thus it is fact.

Like I said, I am happy for the Bible to be studied alongside Shakespeare and Orwell.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Well - I don't believe it - so, it is offensive to me to have it taught in school. Just like the Bible is offensive to others. So, what now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible study [ 6 Answers ]

(2) What great zeal and self denial does Nehemiah, his brethren, his servants and the men of the guard which followed him show?

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search