Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KATLYNAND Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 03:43 PM
    A/C unit. Inside rotating fan won't come on
    I noticed how hot it was and the inside temp has higher than what the thermostat was on. The outside unit runs fine. When I turn unit on seems like inside wants to come on ( I hear air through coils) but fan won't turn. I tried to manually turn it and it turns freely. Any suggestions
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 07:02 PM
    ( I hear air through coils) Freon perhaps? Sounds like a bad Capacitor. Does the motor try and start? Will it spin with power on and a nudge to the cage? Capacitors are common to fail in very hot weather. Easy to replace and typically inexpensive. Look for a cylinder or small box, silver or black, with 2-3 wires, some more, coming out that go to the motor. If it is bulged or leaking, that's the problem. If you decide to DIY, short the capacitor ends to ground with an insulated tool. Match the voltage and micro farad capacity. Otherwise, an HVAC tech should be able to install for $100-$150 depending on capacitor cost, weekend, rush, etc. or so. Most of which will be service call.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 06:04 AM
    There is no way to guess at why the fan won't turn. See if you can turn it by hand to find out if it's locked up, first. Then you will have to see if it's getting power through the fan relay. It could be the fan relay, thermostat, burned out motor windings, bad capacitor, or a loose wire, to name most causes. You will have to get a volt/ohm meter and learn to use this easy-to-use tool. You can find a good one at Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowe's, and many other stores. Here are some schematics: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Diagrams.zip
    Manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf
    AC Troubleshooting: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...leshooting.pdf
    This stuff is very easy to do with a good meter. Never use the ohm meter with power on (Discharge a capacitor before testing.) and buy a meter with auto-protection against use of ohm meter with power on or buy a few correct fuses for the meter since people using a meter for the first time will usually blow a fuse using the ohm meter with power on a line. Check the pawn shops for a good Fluke meter. It's money well spent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inside fan on AC unit won't stut off [ 0 Answers ]

My inside fan on my heat pump won't turn off I replaced thermostat, then replaced control board,, what else could it be??

A/c Unit fan inside won't run,But Outside Unit works fine. What's the problem? [ 2 Answers ]

The Outside Unit is working fine. The inside Unit fan won't come on and makes a humming noise.

Fan does not turn off and water in inside unit [ 2 Answers ]

Carrier unit. The inside unit's fan blows continually even if it is in "auto" position. There is water on the outside doors of the unit and also puddling on the inside equipment. The filter is even wet along with the wood floor underneath this unit. This is also a heating unit. The cooling part...

Inside unit blower works. Outside fan does not. Compressor clicks once? [ 2 Answers ]

The a/c was working fine last night. This morning, I noticed the fan in the outside unit was not running but the blower on the inside unit was blowing. I turned off the unit at the outside breaker box and turned it back out. When I did, I think it was the compressor I heard click but then nothing....

Air condition unit will not cut off when fan on inside stops. [ 2 Answers ]

When the blower on the inside of the house cuts off, the air conditoner unit constantly runs. The thermostat is new, so that is not the problem, the thermostat works with the heater. Any ideas?

View more questions Search