Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blue_Belle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2003, 12:13 AM
    Stubborn kids
    My sister's children are coming. I have 3 of my own who work well as a team, play nice, and share everything from toys to strep throat (oops)

I'm not sure how to handle them. The younger one (5) will shout back if I send her to the corner. She has occasion to be down right mean. Her brother, 8, is selfish with his toys, and my son's, 8.

I was hoping someone might have a fresh idea on handling them.
    schuylervj Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2003, 07:32 AM
    Stuborn kids
    When I had my pre-schoolers and they acted up, they were automatically sent to "time-out" which was a little chair in the corner and they stayed there until they cooled off and were ready to be nice again... this has to be done at the first sign of nastiness/temper because they are testing you, and if you allow them to get away with bad bratty behavior, they will have no respect for you and behave even worse... nip it in the bud and you won't have any problems, they have to know who is in control. A spolied child is the result of a lazy parent.
    mommaveloso Posts: 22, Reputation: 6

Jan 9, 2006, 03:21 AM
    My sister's kids are also hard to handle when they come for a visit, but in my opinion I have found that no matter how hard you try, you will never get anywhere... because once they go back home they will go right back to what they are used to.. so don't waste your breath or time trying to make them behave like your kids do.. I just stopped inviting my sisters kids to stay with us.. it is mean, but I told my sister, that if she can't get her kids to behave at my house.. then don't bring them. I do not like being mean to her, I love her, and my niece and nephew. But I can't deal with the stress of someone else's kids that don't listen, I have 3 of my own as well.. I just go to her house for visits. I guess it all depends on how long they will be there, and if your family don't mind you taking the burden of having to teach them the proper way to behave at your house. My sister would just sit there and watch her kids act up and let me be the one to tell them to stop. I got tired of it. I don't let anyone else tell my kids what to do, I am always on top of them.. they are mine and that is my job as their mother.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Mean kids
    Hi,
    I agree with mammaveloso's answers. At 63, married 29 yrs, with an 8 yr old grandson, both my wife and I have tried handling this same situation. Our family lives 5 hrs. drive away. When my grandson comes to visit, he does like to bring a friend with him, and we both understand that. But, we have learned which friends we want, and don't want, in our house!
    If the situation with your sis's kids is really bad, and they would be staying, say for more than a couple of days, then maybe it's time you had a talk with your sis. I can't take care of them.
    It could be a "delicate" situation, but life is too short to "put up" with things that you know will happen; especially when you have already tried everything you know to do, and it doesn't work!
    With some kids, it doesn't matter if you spend all your time with them, taking them here and there. If they will not behave themselves, it's time to NOT be with them.
    I do wish you good luck, and hang in there.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2006, 08:02 AM
    My wife informed me years ago that if my friends cannot control their own kids they are not welcome,this is the parents problem not yours,Talk to your sister!Good luck!:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kids movie! [ 9 Answers ]

There was this kids movie that I am trying to remember the name of. I watched it back in the early 90's I think, but I am not sure how old it is. There was this girl who I think looked kind of like a clown or a doll and she was in a room with toys and stuffed animals who came to life and then...

I have 3 kids and want 1 more [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have 3 girls ages 2, 4, and 8. I want to have one more but my husband doesn't agree yet. Can anyone tell me if 4 is better or worse than 3? Thank you!

Crazy to want more kids? [ 33 Answers ]

As some of you know, I have a month old baby, plus my adopted nephew and niece who are 4 and 6 years old. So, 3 children. But I want MORE! Not right away, but in a couple of years I would like another baby or to adopt another child. If I had my way, I think I would eventually like to have 5 or 6...

Kids don't like new partner [ 4 Answers ]

What do you do if your kids 16 and 14 do not want you to date. What if they absolutely do not want you to date one particular person, and you are madly in love?:( :( :(

Kids and $$$ [ 2 Answers ]

So my wife goes to the store with my 19 yo son. On the way they stop in to see my 23 yo daughter at work (vets office) My son sticks around with my daughter until she gets a lunch break, in the mean time my wife heads to Office Depot. While there the kids come in and hit her up for lunch money,...

View more questions Search