Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Claiming an extra person
    Hello;

I am in NJ.

My mother-in-law lives with us full time. We do not collect any rent from her (she gives us a few dollars here and there, but not much). She pays for her clothing, health ins. car insurance, gas and misc items. We provide everything else (incl. food). She is currently receiving SS and a very small pension monthly - she is 66 years of age and not working.

Finally, here is my question: we've been told that it would be very difficult to claim her on our taxes because her annual income (SS and small pension) of approx. $13,000 is too much. I find that hard to believe as it would be very difficult in 2007 to support yourself for $13,000/year.

I would love to get another opinion as we have been steared the wrong way once before.

Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2007, 07:22 AM
    The question is whether her living expenses were more than $26K and that you provided the difference. The rule of thumb in claiming someone as a dependent is whether you provided more than half their support.

Even though its hard to survive on only $13K, she might be required to submit her own return.
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 08:18 AM
    thanks!

if I understand correctly - what I need to do then is make a list of all of her living expenses and go from there... do you know if I would just estimate the amount of rent she would be paying somewhere else?

and... does savings have any part of the equation? She does not have a lot, but she does have some.

thanks again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Only interest earned on the savings has a bearing. Yes you can estimate what she would be paying in rent elsewhere since you are supplying her with room and board.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 11:43 AM
    When determining her support, do NOT consider her Social Security income.

It has been my experience that most children CAN claim their parents if the only parental income is Social Security and small pensions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extra long bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on my period now for 12 days. This has never happened before. The first 5 were heavy w/ a lot of clotting which isn't unusual and then it stopped for a day and has been bleeding again since. When I wipe now its light and watery but has some clear discharge w/ blood running through it....

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Adding extra lights [ 4 Answers ]

I have wired up 5 extra down light in a circuit. When I turn them on, they dim and if I remove one they all go out. What amI doing wrong?

About an extra ordinary person [ 2 Answers ]

My brother is in jail for public crime again. He will be there for sometime. He is 33 now and has been in severe drugs since he was 16 years old and creating havoc since then. He is very violent. At the age of 21 he went to Michigan, USA. He was jailed there many times, was an alcoholic, used drugs...

View more questions Search