Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
    What Is A "Generation"?
    If this is in the wrong place, the moderators will fix it.

John and Mary, born in Fredonia, leave that country and come to the United States. . In the US, they have a child, Hubert. Hubert marries Sonia whose parents also came from Fredonia and they have a child named William.

What generation is William? I say William is second generation. John and Mary "generated" Hubert (first generation), who then "generated" William - second generation.

Many consider William third generation because he is the third Fredonian to LIVE here, NOT be born here.

What is William? Second or third?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 10:30 PM
    I consider myself "fourth generation." My great grandfather was born in Germany, came to this country, and was naturalized [first generation in this country]. One of his sons, born in IL, was my grandfather [second generation], and one of my grandfather's sons, also born in IL, was my father [third generation]. I don't count my mother's side as giving me any "generation" status.

Michael, one of my library volunteers, considered himself a first-generation American. His parents had moved here from China, bringing him along as a baby. They eventually were naturalized, as was he.

Read this for more confusion:

Immigrant generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good question, Athos!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2013, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I !
    Why was my correction deleted? It changes my question. Boooo.

>edited / correction added to original post -WG<
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 11:40 PM
    Second generation, in the way we have always done it, my family came from Germany and this is how we count it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Locating a Die-cast metal 1980's generation "Side Swipe" Transformer [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the Transformer "Side swipe" was ever produced in Die cast Metal around 1 to 24 scale size? And if so, where to obtain one from? It can be a re-issue of the 1980's transformer but must have the following features: - Die-cast metal exterior panels - A red Lamborghini -...

Who manufactures Yangson Generation 3 "Altezza Style" clear tail lights? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know who manufactures Yangson Generation 3 "Altezza Style" clear Tail lights? I am trying to find out who manufactures these tail lights and where these tail lights are manufactured. There seems to be a lot of distributers in the market place but no mention of a manufacturer! ...

Giuliani "We are all members of the 9/11 generation." [ 19 Answers ]

For anyone wishing to know how foreign policy (at least involving the war against jihadistan) would be conducted in a Rudy Presidency ;Foreign Affairs - Toward a Realistic Peace - Rudolph Giuliani is a must read. He adopts and defends much of the Bush Doctrine regarding the war against the...

View more questions Search