Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12356 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 10:58 AM
    Why is a neutral wire Hot when it is disconnected from the neutral bar.
    I have a new circuit for ground faul circuit interrupters covering three outlets. When we went to connect the neutral to the bus bar it was live. It gave with the voltmeter 120v. When it was connected to the neural bus bar no current was shown. Is it normal to have a netural hot when disconnected from the bus bar?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 11:08 AM
    Definitely, when the breaker for that circuit is still on. The neutral is a current carrying conductor. The neutral completes the circuit along with the hot.

May I ask why you disconnect the neutral while the breaker was still on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is hot wire is not a neutral wire or vice versa in single phase two wire AC source? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a little bit confused why in AC single phase 2 wire source is merely classified the 1 wire as hot and other wire as neutral. The hot wire travels the current from the source to the load and going back the current to the source through the neutral wire. I know that in AC circuit, the signal or...

Do single pole breakers hook black to breaker and neutral & grd to bonded neutral bar [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Eaton Cutler-Hammer meter/breaker box. (MB816B200BTS-FLCH) I want to run a 20 amp circuit (underground wire) from this box through existing underground conduit to a receptacle for a dishwasher. This run would be app. 15' to 20' and from my main house panel it would be 40' to 50'. All...

GFCI neutral bar/pigtail question for hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 volt hot tub (4 wire) and it's wired in a spa pack to a GE 50 AMP GFCI breaker. An electrician did the wiring and connected both the hot tub neutral and the gfci pigtail to the neutral bar instead of to the neutral of the gfci breaker. According to everything I've read here the GFCI...

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

View more questions Search