Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Secondwynd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Credit Card - 1993 Judgment vacated - now what?
    Mel S. Harris and Associates and collection agency/law firm sent me letter in '05 saying I owed $11k to them for an outstanding credit card judgment from 1993. I know nothing about either the cc or the judgment. I sent them a certified letter asked for proof this account was mine and who they are to collect. I recvd two more similar letters from them but no response.

Sept 06 -- They froze my bank account.

I had to order the case file and served them with an Order to Show Cause, Affidavit in Support, with a copy of their Summons and Complaint.

A court date was set for Jan 07.

On the date, in the courtroom prior to the proceeding their attorney called my name and offered to vacate the judgment on the spot so I could access my bank account. He asked did I want to pay anything of the cc ( Answer: No.)

So, we walk up together to the clerk who says okay on A, but what about B - That the matter be dismissed? Are you in agreement. No, he says.

Okay, then you'll have a future court date - Brooklyn, NY - for that. [ It will be sometime in April ] The form I had to send Mel Harris says - "Verification."

Question: How do I proceed? Do they now have something on me? Couldn't this all have gone away on the six year NY Statute of Limitations rule?

This has been a nightmare!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Add to your Order to Show Cause, Affidavit in Support, Motion to dismiss, lack of proper service, lack of subject matter jurisdiction, lack of personal jurisidiction.

Remember an attorney cannot testify for their client, they must be present.

An attorney statement is hearsay, you have the right to cross examine the plaintiff.
    Secondwynd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Add to your Order to Show Cause, Affidavit in Support, Motion to dismiss, lack of proper service, lack of subject matter jurisdiction, lack of personal jurisidiction.

Remember an attorney cannot testify for their client, they must be present.

an attorney statement is hearsay, you have the right to cross examine the plaintiff.
    Yes - those elements were added. Thank you.

This is now a third-party situation. From CC to original Atttorney to Plaintiff Attorney/Collection Agy. It was the original attorney who approached me.

Question: What about the SoL on credit card debt, it's six years in NY. Do they even have the right to bring suit after all this time?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondwynd
    Yes - those elements were added. Thank you.

This is now a third-party situation. From CC to original Atttorney to Plantiff Attorney/Collection Agy. It was the original attorney who approached me.

Question: What about the SoL on credit card debt, it's six years in NY. Do they even have the right to bring suit after all this time?

File MOtion to dismiss due to the SOL also.

Lawsuit Anatomy
    Learning the anatomy of civil lawsuits is as easy as spelling "CAT".

Complaint
    Answer
    Trial
    Master this simple truth and you will soon be operating successfully in court... controlling corrupt judges and defeating crooked lawyers.

Of course, there's more to learn, however the best place to start learning is with the basic anatomy of lawsuits. C.A.T.

Plaintiffs file complaints. Defendants file answers. Judges examine the facts and law at trial to decide who wins. It's not difficult if you keep these three steps in mind. Every lawsuit has this same fundamental anatomy.

If you can spell “CAT”, you can master the basics.

C = Complaint … Where the case begins, when the plaintiff complains.

A = Answer … Where the defendant responds to the plaintiff’s complaint.

T = Trial … Where the judge (or jury) decides the final verdict.

After the plaintiff files his complaint, the defendant may file what we call a flurry of motions that seek to have the complaint stricken or dismissed so he need not answer. If the flurry of motions fails, the defendant must answer the complaint - at which time he should also file affirmative defenses, possibly adding his own counter-claims, cross-claims, or third-party complaints..

Once the defendant is compelled to answer the complaint (and sometimes before) both parties are permitted to engage in a process to discover facts that may lead to admissible evidence. They may demand production of documents and other tangible items, require the other side to admit facts and law under oath, ask relevant questions of anyone, and put the discovered evidence on pubic record.

At any time, the parties may negotiate a settlement agreement to avoid the expense, delay, and uncertainty of going to trial.

If the parties cannot settle their dispute during the discovery phase, the court will examine the admissible evidence at trial, hear testimony, consider arguments of law, and render its final judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Report - vacated lien [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a "Notice of Pending Warrant Vacate in Part" letter from the NYS Tax Department. This relates to my being awarded Innocent Spouse Relief on a joint tax filing that determined I overpaid my share of the taxes and gave me a refund. So basically, the State Tax Dept. has said that...

Credit Card Judgment preventing property sale ! [ 2 Answers ]

I bought my apartment a little bit more than a yea ago, I live in Florida and I am trying to sell it now, it's the only property that I have. The problem is that I have a credit card judgment and I have been told that I can not sell my property until I satisfy that debt. There is no lien against...

Judgment possibilities on credit card debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I lost my job several years ago, had some medical issues and stopped making my credit card payments and have not as yet been able to catch up on my debts. I am being sued by a credit card company for $1400 not a lot of money, but much more than I have. I have a summons to appear in court...

Credit Card Judgment following Charge-Off [ 0 Answers ]

If a credit company has "Charged-Off" a balance as reflected on a credit bureau report, Does this imply that they will not be seeking a judgment? Will I receive WRITTEN documentation in the event a judgment is filed? It is my understanding that under Texas law a credit card company cannot...

View more questions Search