Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UPhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Showing unit to perspective tenant
    I have a question with regards to showing a unit to a perspective tenant after the current tenant (i.e house roommates) has given notice to move. I was at my rental unit making repairs to a kitchen floor (I had given 30-days notice of entry -- PLENTY of time). While I was repairing the floor, a perspective tenant showed up to view the rental. As I already had permission to enter the premises for repair, I did not see a problem in showing the house to the perspective tenant. The door to the bedroom was not locked and/or latched so the door was already open. I pushed the door open (did NOT walk into the room) to show the size of the room (and the color of the walls -- I will be painting). I was 'leaning' on the door jam talking with the 'new' tenant when the current tenant started ranting that I illegally entered their 'room'. As I had permission to be in the house, they had given notice (it's less than two weeks before they are required to move), and I didn't actually step into the room, did I violate any 'codes' or 'regulations' regarding this action? :confused:

I live in Washington State if this helps.

Thanks in advance for your information.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Hello UP:

Yeah, you shouldn't have shown the house. However, you didn't break any rules or "codes" that they can sue you for. I would just make sure that you do a final walkthrough with them, with a camera.

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Mar 18, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UPhouse
    I have a question with regards to showing a unit to a perspective tenant after the current tenant (i.e house roommates) has given notice to move. I was at my rental unit making repairs to a kitchen floor (I had given 30-days notice of entry -- PLENTY of time). While I was repairing the floor, a perspective tenant showed up to view the rental. As I already had permission to enter the premises for repair, I did not see a problem in showing the house to the perspective tenant. The door to the bedroom was not locked and/or latched so the door was already open. I pushed the door open (did NOT walk into the room) to show the size of the room (and the color of the walls -- I will be painting). I was 'leaning' on the door jam talking with the 'new' tenant when the current tenant started ranting that I illegally entered their 'room'. As I had permission to be in the house, they had given notice (it's less than two weeks before they are required to move), and I didn't actually step into the room, did I violate any 'codes' or 'regulations' regarding this action? :confused:

I live in Washington State if this helps.

Thanks in advance for your information.
    No - are you sure you need to give 30 DAYS NOTICE to enter your own property? When unit is vacant AFTER you have repainted, take beaucoup digital pics that you can use on websites (Craigslist) and e-mail to prospects rather than going through this scenario... Your tenant was COMPLETELY out of line... ALWAYS knock on ANY closed door inside an occupied unit...
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I can understand where your tenant was coming from. I wouldn't be happy if my landlord started showing people inside my bedroom (even from the doorway) without my permission, even if he was allowed to be in the house to do repairs. Bedrooms are personal spaces, I would be mad. You should have asked. But probably not breaking any laws, but just not a very polite thing to do.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
    You had permission from the tenant to fix the kitchen floor. You did not have permission to bring a stranger through the house or for you to enter rooms other than the kitchen.

It is customary during the last 30 days of a lease, for landlords to show the property, with or without the tenant present. However, you are required to give notice.

You were wrong in showing the prospective tenant in without giving the current tenant a notice. Tell him you made an error in judgement and that it won't happen again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm confused and want a male's perspective [ 57 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 4 years broke of with me 2 months ago. He said he needed space to get his life together ( no job, lives with parents, doesn't feel good about himself) He loved me, but couldn't give me what I needed. Instead of letting him go, I committed every no-no in the book (cried, begged,...

Showing a rental unit [ 2 Answers ]

I read some postings regarding the 24 hour notice required of a realtor prior to showing a rental unit that is for sale. Does this hold true in California and/or is there any other rules in California pertaining to this situation I should know about? Thank you.

Need a new perspective... [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I'm laying it all on the line in hopes that those of you familiar w/ this type of situation are willing to help me out... this may be long, bear w it! All throughout my five years spent in college I dated the same girl, the one I had been with since our senior year of high school. In that...

How to get him back! Male perspective wanted too! Help me [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriend of fourteen months , told me that its all too much and he didn't think he wanted a relationship anymore? He says he still loves me , and last week we were fine. :mad: everything was fine except we hadn't seen each other for two weeks . I really want him back, I love him so much. I had...

Males Perspective Please [ 22 Answers ]

Hello everyone I know some of you remember me as being the one who had been debating if sleeping with a married man was OK... and I never did. Since than we have become good friends and we truly don't communicate with each other as much anymore as well. But hears the problem... the other day I saw...

View more questions Search