Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PowerSupply Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Boot failure after installing new power supply
    Hello,

I purchased a new power supply today and swapped out the factory installed unit in my Dell XPS whatever. The new supply is 550 watt, whereas the old one was something like 340. In any case, the computer will turn on briefly (about 1 - 2 seconds) and then everything shuts down. This is very repeatable.

The motherboard is receiving power, because the indicator LED is lit. I have also tried hooking up the previous power supply to the motherboard (both 24 pin main and 4 pin supplemently) and hard drives to see if it would make any difference and the result is the same: the computer turns on for 1-2 seconds and then powers down, the motherboard LED lit the whole time.

In the process of changing out the power supply, I was forced to remove the heat sink and this, as far as I know, is the only conceivable spot where something could have gone wrong. Before replacing it, I removed the previous conductive goop (from both processor and heat sink) and reapplied a fresh, even layer to the processor, taking care to not wiggle the heat sink after it was firmly nestled atop the processor once again.

Please, if you have any idea what may be wrong, let me know.

Sincere thanks,

Steve
    foat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
    I noticed in your question you referred to the heat sink as "conductive", it is nonconductive. If you used a conductive substance that could be a real problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running: "Log...

What kind of power supply to use [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My name is zent and I'm having a problem with my power supply, I'm using a UPS(PC STAR)500VA but still my internet connection suddenly cut-off for 2-3 minutes, what could be the possible cause? Any help? Thanks Zent

Power supply [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a new mother board and I wanted to put my graphics card back in, but I'm worried that the power supply doesn't have enough power. I was going to try it, but I didn't want to if it might do some damage to my comp. Does anyone know if I try it and it doesn't work, will it possibly damage...

Disk Boot Failure [ 7 Answers ]

I'm running Win 98 on my spare PC and never get a problem until tonight, when I switched on, a message appeared as follows: "Boot fron Atapi CD-ROM Failure. Insert System Disk and press Enter" I switched the PC off then on again and eveything is fine. I'm concerned that it may happen again, what...

Computer Power Supply [ 9 Answers ]

Hey peepz! I recently noticed that ma new computer overheats often, which is starting to worry me slightly :eek: . I was told that it could be the power supply unit which is 250V. I have the following specs... 3400+ 64 AMD Processor MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard 1024MB RAM ATI...

View more questions Search