Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HBombToo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
    20 % down on a Mortgage
    I have always been very conservative with my finance and fortunatly I was able to pay off my home in December. My vehicles are paid off and I have no credit card debt; furthermore, I have no intentions of leaving my current home but with all that equity tied up in my property a few questions have cropped up.

Can I use my home or cars as the down payment considering I own them free and clear?
    If so,
    Does anyone on the forum think that taking advantage of the reduced home prices now or over the next quarter may be a wise investment?
    Or
    Should I just stand fast and continue investing my free cash in the slumping stock market?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

HBomb:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I guess the question is do you want to go back into debt, what are you looking for n a new home, and if you are buying a new home, are you not going to sell your old home ?

And I actually think home prices are going to keep going down next two years ( but heck I have been wrong before)

But cash in the bank, CD and in good stock funds are still a growing investment, ( may want to look at some overseas investment funds)

But if you want a much larger nicer home and can afford it, that is your choice and normally a good investment.

Mar 16, 2007, 10:59 AM
    My house is more than sufficient to raise my young family with a large yard and more than enough space in a very highly regarded school district. I don't care what the Jones family has;) as long as my wife and kids are comfortable, safe and warm all is good for me.

My 401k is maxed to the federal limit and distributed ~ 70%/30% across FDGFX and FEMKX, I have not done much in IRA's over the past few years but being 42 with many years of work ahead of me I see the need to get that ball rolling.

I have continuosly used CD's to balance my free flo cash balance between Money Markets and checking accounts. I'm really not sure what more I should be doing but debt is not really where I think I should be going.

Thanks for the help and I am always looking for advice.

Regards
    HBomb
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Congratulations on a fantastic financial position.

I don't have answers. Not an expert. Just some questions to open up the discussion more.

Are you just sick about seeing the markets bump about? If the markets were soaring would you be asking this question?

Also, the home is paid for but are there updates that need to be done? Can you invest back into the home to make sure it would sell well based on condition? I know a neighbor of mine has her home paid off but shed struggle to move it fast or have to drop the price as she's done no updates in the last 15 years.

Also not clear on your intention? Are you looking for investment property? If so, what about a vacation home or condo that you can rent out? Again, it might be against your nature, as you have respectfully avoided bad debt. And investment property requires someone to do work, you or a management co, so it comes down to your comfort level. But not sure if the 20% down was to try to find investment property.

How far are you from retirement... or should I say how far are you from "standard" retirement age?

What about kids and 529 college funds?

Mar 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
    You read my mind kp2171... the market fluxuations have most definitely got me rethinging my strategy. Since I'm 42 and have a long way to go until retirement I figure its just a bump in the road so to speak so I'm not over reacting in the 401k world.

I'm not real knowlegable on the 529's other than what I have researched has shown many restrictions on their use which has made me back away. My oldest is 6 so at least I have another ~12 years before that reality sets in.

Investment properties is exactly where my head was and again that added responsibility has put the breaks on for me and resulted in my query here. That said, if I can consolidate my equity and use it for the 20% down as a leverage then my free cash does not get hit all at once. -or that's what I was thinking- but I am very ignorant in this arena.

Thanks
    HBomb
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HBombToo
    Can I use my home or cars as the down payment considering I own them free and clear?

HBomb:)

Down payment for what? Sounds like your debt free right? Sounds like you've been very wise with your money. Must be a dave ramsey fan. ;)

Rather than the stock market, look into growth stock mutual funds. They offer better rates than the stock market alone.. more info at

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 07:44 AM
    I was bothered by the down payment question too. There is no explanation of down payment for what.

I'm not sure what restrictions on 529s bother you, but they appear to be a good way to finance college and I suggest you take a further look at them. Also 12 years is not a lot of time. In 12 years a college education will probably cost in the mid 6 figures. That means you will have to save more than $10K per year during those 12 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Mortgage Help [ 7 Answers ]

We have owned our house for 2 years, we had to move out of state for a year so we rented our house out. The renters quit paying and we had to hire an atty to evict them and they left the house destroyed. Meanwhile we about the lost the house, we finally worked out an agreement with the loss...

Mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I own a trailer,an I keep records of payments, but I have looked everywhere for a spreadsheet to help me keep track of payments an later fees an bounced checks,I guess I need a title of what I'm looking for,I have goggle an Yahoo I just need to figure out how much she owns an what a payoff...

Getting out of a mortgage [ 3 Answers ]

I am buying my mobile home, and paying lot rent to park it here. Wife & I would like to get out of it and start over somewhere else in the near future. This was our first house, no credit back then... so we are paying 21% interest. Had it for 6 years now, and I still owe more than what the house...

Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add my friend to my mortgage loan. How do I do this?

Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What will my payment be like on a 80/20 interest loan @7%?

View more questions Search