Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chiara2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
    We became Americans in 1992.
    We became US Citizens in 1990. I am a dual British citizen and my wife was German until she realized the system confiscated it. We are now living in France since 2003 where we have the right to citizenship. To acquire UK citizenship requires my wife live in the country 3 years with a permananent address there. My wife would really like to reacquire her German citizenship however my question is HOW?

We might live in Germany but need to ensure that German Citizenship will be available if we make this move and under what conditions.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Dec 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
    When you apply for a foreign (non-German) citizenship, you need to apply for a "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" (permission to keep German citizenship), otherwise you lose it. To get it back is not easy, but theoretically possible. The main point is, that there needs to be a benefit for Germany to grant the request. See her for more information (this link is in German, but knowing German is one of the requirements anyway):
    Botschaft und Konsulate der Bundesrepublik Deutschland in Kanada - Wiedereinbürgerung (WE)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Native Americans [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper on Native Americans and I do not know what to write it on. I was thinking either on the mistreatment of Native Americans from the United States. I am not sure. HELP. It has to do with American History and it is for a research paper. Thanks!

Native Americans [ 1 Answers ]

What is a current issue between Native Americans and the federal government? Identify the legislation that you think is linked to the issue, and explain why you think there is a connection.

SO, you think Americans want [ 13 Answers ]

What happened…Senators McCain and Clinton are Old Guard candidates. They are Washington incarnate. And they are winning.:D

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

View more questions Search