Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AE87 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Changing my partners last name to mine?
    Hello everyone! I have been with my partner for over 8 years. We are in the process of starting a family, and she wants to change her last name to mine, so that our children can have my last name. We do live in Texas, which they do not support same sex marriage, so that is out of the question. But I have read in the news that a man is selling his last name to the highest bidder. So if he can do that then we must be able to change her last name to mine! I just don't know where to start this process! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
    All she would be doing is changing her name which would be a legal thing.

Dec 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
    True, but I was under the impression she must have a reason to change it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AE87 View Post
    Does this site help?

How to Change Your Name Legally in Texas - Avvo.com
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Or do like my sil did and go to a state that recognizes SSM, get married, and do the name change there. Of course, you will have to check that your state will recognize the name change, plus will have to contact all the entities that used her former name to get it changed to the new one. Meet with a lawyer?

Dec 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Or do like my sil did and go to a state that recognizes SSM, get married, and do the name change there. Of course, you will have to check that your state will recognize the name change, plus will have to contact all the entities that used her former name to get it changed to the new one. Meet with a lawyer?
    Thank you for all your ideas! Sadly I do not think Texas will recognize it. Texas will most likely be the last state to accept same sex couples.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AE87;
    Tell the judge what you told us. Say that you like the new name better. Tell the court all of the reasons for changing the name. Those may well be regarded as "a reason".

Quote Originally Posted by AE87;
    Sadly I do not think Texas will recognize it. Texas will most likely be the last state to accept same sex couples.
    "It" would be the name-change, not a homosexual marriage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
    The issue here, and it is a legal board, not relationship, is how to change the name.

Do not address same sex partner, do not bring up any other issue, other than you like that name and prefer it. One can not "sell" their last name. But most are routine and judges care less why, unless the name seems to be for some illegal purpose.

Hire an attorney, it will make it easier. But normally it is a fill in the form, submit it, and go to one hearing and the name is changed.

As for as same sex marriages, where they are legal, they are legal, where they are not, they are not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing my son's last name to mine. [ 6 Answers ]

My fiancé had two children by another guy when I met her. She ended up getting pregnant with me. While she was pregnant, she went back to him. So he and she decided it would easier for the kids if they all had the same last name, and so gave my child HIS last name. Now he didn't sign the birth...

Changing sons last name to mine [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I had a child and she wanted his last name to be her's, so it is. Now we want to change his last name to mine. How do I go about that? Do I need a lawyer to do this or a court order? I live in Las Vegas, NV if someone knows a lawyer.

Changing my child's last name to mine [ 2 Answers ]

I have sole legal custody of my child born out of wedlock, and I have petitioned an order to show cause for a last name change for my child. Her father is absent from her life, but he did sign the birth certificate. I am wondering if her father tries to fight in it court what is a good reason to...

Changing my child's last name to mine. [ 7 Answers ]

When my child was born his mother gave him her last name. I asked her to reconsider and she said no. I thought that if I gave her time she would reconsider and six months later she still says no. Is there anything I can do legally to change his last name in the state of Ohio?

View more questions Search